Clutch throwout bearing and oil leak in clutch housing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Clutch throwout bearing and oil leak in clutch housing

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 10-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
calvykins

Clutch throwout bearing and oil leak in clutch housing

Hi... I have just removed my Renault 2.1 diesel engine from my 1982 French CJ7 and have discovered that the clutch housing seems to have a lot of oil inside. Also the spline from the T5 gearbox seems to have a fair amount of play in the clutch throwout bearing.

is it possible that the oil comes from the throwout bearing or is there a seal between the clutch casing and T5 gearbox?

Thanks

img_0698.jpg  

Last edited by calvykins; 10-23-2013 at 01:56 PM..
calvykins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
calvykins

As you can see, it's been leaking oil all over the place. Certainly from the clutch housing

At least it's stopped a lot of rust forming!!
img_0697.jpg  
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Valve cover gasket leaking down the rear of the engine.
Rear main seal.
transmission input seal leaking.
clutch slave cylinder leaking.
Any combination of the four.
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
calvykins

Thanks
What about the play in the gearbox shaft?
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

If your talking about the input shaft moving, there will be a small amount of vertical movement due to the input being out of the pilot bushing. What you don't want to see is fore and aft (in and out) movement. This indicates a worn bearing.
In the end, if your unsure, you can replace the input bearing.
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #6
calvykins

Thanks jeepdaddy2000. There is so much oil everywhere it's impossible to tell where the leaks are. The PO never cleaned it off, it's been there for years.
I have cleaned off all the oil now and there is no fore and aft movement of the input shaft. The tip of the input shaft can be moved about 2mm (1/10 inch) in any direction from the axis. is this acceptable? The seal coming out of the gearbox doesn't look worn. I don't want to disturb it if it's not necessary, but as the whole unit is out of the car would you recommend replacing the throw out bearing and shaft bearings and seal as a precaution?
I know that the engine sump was leaking oil so I'm hoping the oil in the clutch housing came from there...thanks for your help
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

The input movement sounds acceptable to me. I would skip the shaft bearing unless you feel it may be bad. Having it removed with the trans intact will take a special tool and you will probably need to get it to a professional to get it off.
If you suspect the input seal is leaking, replace it.
You need to inspect the entire clutch assembly for wear and contamination. If anything looks bad, it would probably be a good time to replace it, since as you said, the transmission is already out.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
calvykins

Thanks once again...One last question for the moment..... I removed the engine from the car by sliding the engine forward until it cleared the input shaft and then lifted it out.
Can I replace the engine in the same way? By lining everything up and sliding the the engine back onto the shaft? Or is there anything else I should consider?
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

You can.
I would remove the motor mounts if you haven't already. I usually drop the rear driveline and leave the transmission in gear. This allows me to rotate the rear output which can help aligning the input shaft into the clutch.
You may need a jack under the transmission to get the nose up. I like to use a transmission jack, but anything will actually work. you may also need to toss a come a long on the front of the engine to lift the nose if you have to.
Be sure the engine is flush with the bellhousing before you bolt it together. some folks try to get that last inch using the bellhousing bolts and wind up snapping something.
Removing the engine is a common way to replace the clutch in a number of vehicles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.