Clutch slipping or bad mechanics? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Clutch slipping or bad mechanics?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
mdplayer

Clutch slipping or bad mechanics?

So, I would like to start this off by saying that I am by no stretch a "car guy". As long as you don't tell me its the "Flux Capacitor" or "shaft bearings" or something like that, I pretty much will take your word for it..

I've been having some issues with my Jeep when I pull out, so I took it to the shop. The problem is, when I pull out, from not moving (vs a rolling stop) it feels like the back end is jumping. On a rolling stop, it does not happen. The best I can describe it is, if you pull out, and spin the tires, sometimes they jump. That is what it feels like. Its only when I pull out, and never when changing gears (I have a manual transmission). When I pull out on ice or snow, it doesn't do it as bad. If I pull out super slow and carefully, it doesn't do it. On 2 different occasions, when driving over some chewed up railroad tracks, I must have been coasting just right, and it popped out of 4th gear.

Ok, so that is the issue

Took it to a Jeep dealer to look at it (they do all my work), and they went through and found that the distributor cap was broken and figured it was rattling around and that was the problem. They replaced it. When I picked up the Jeep, it did the same exact thing (maybe to a lesser extent) when I pulled out (although the Jeep did have more pep). CRAP. So, took it back the next day, told them the same thing, they looked at it again. This time, they said they felt it, they didn't previously, and said it was the clutch slipping and going bad. They thought I could run it like that for the rest of the winter and be fine.

I have had clutches go on cars before, and it didn't feel like this. The previous car that lost its clutch, you could just feel it slipping out of gear when going up hill or something like that.

So, what are the thoughts? Think this could be a clutch slippage or should I take it elsewhere and have a different mechanic take a look at it? If it matters, I have 125K miles on my 2001 Wrangler SE...

Thanks in advance.

mdplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
armmata
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Check the gears
armmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Does it do it when you are still releasing the clutch pedal, or does it do it after the clutch pedal is released. You explained a lot of details but I am not sure if I had enough to lean toward clutch chatter or wheel hop, sounds like you have clutch chatter.

If it does it when releasing the clutch pedal its probably clutch chatter, this problem is usually worse when the clutch is still cold and/or on damp/humid days. Its caused by irregularities in the flywheel or pressure plate, probably hotspots. Quicker clutch releasing usually decreases the problem. Some people have said that a couple hard clutch launches, or clutch slippings can make the problem go away for awhile (Im not sure that it would help though, usually not a good idea to purposely slip a clutch). It could also be leaking oil getting on the clutch too. Hotspots are usually caused by overheating the clutch or slipping it a lot on numerous occasions. Could just be getting due for a new clutch, or having one replaced without resurfacing the flywheel. There are a couple other reasons too but these are the usual ones.

If its wheel hop, it could be something like worn shocks, control arm bushings etc. Wheel hop can also be caused by clutch chatter on hard launches too. Some wheel hop can be considered normal especially with oversized tires.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Might also check rear suspenion bushings.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
mdplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Does it do it when you are still releasing the clutch pedal, or does it do it after the clutch pedal is released. You explained a lot of details but I am not sure if I had enough to lean toward clutch chatter or wheel hop, sounds like you have clutch chatter.

If it does it when releasing the clutch pedal its probably clutch chatter, this problem is usually worse when the clutch is still cold and/or on damp/humid days. Its caused by irregularities in the flywheel or pressure plate, probably hotspots. Quicker clutch releasing usually decreases the problem. Some people have said that a couple hard clutch launches, or clutch slippings can make the problem go away for awhile (Im not sure that it would help though, usually not a good idea to purposely slip a clutch). It could also be leaking oil getting on the clutch too. Hotspots are usually caused by overheating the clutch or slipping it a lot on numerous occasions. Could just be getting due for a new clutch, or having one replaced without resurfacing the flywheel. There are a couple other reasons too but these are the usual ones.

If its wheel hop, it could be something like worn shocks, control arm bushings etc. Wheel hop can also be caused by clutch chatter on hard launches too. Some wheel hop can be considered normal especially with oversized tires.
It usually does it during the clutch release, so right when I start moving as the Jeep is just starting to move. If I release the clutch real slow, and pull out very "carefully", then I can get it to not do it.

As for the temps, at first, it almost did it less when it was warmer. But at this point, I don't think it matter much on temperature.
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
mdplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Might also check rear suspenion bushings.
This is almost what I was thinking.

Again, as I originally stated, I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to cars and that stuff, but I feel like its a shock/busing/something or another going on back there. It almost seems that it is running rougher over the crappy roads here in Maine, so I feel like is all the same thing going on..

I think I will take it to a different mechanic and see what he has to say...
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Does it do this when you are turning from a stop? Could be spider gears? Id definitely take the rear diff cover off and take a peak inside!
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
mdplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Sahara View Post
Does it do this when you are turning from a stop? Could be spider gears? Id definitely take the rear diff cover off and take a peak inside!
Yes, it happens when I am turning, but it happens when I pull out straight as well.
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It could be.
warped Pressure plate
Bad clutch disk springs
bad tranny mount
bad rear suspension components
bad u-joint
bad drive shaft angle
bad driving habits
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

got a limited slip rearend?
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
mdplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiehind View Post
got a limited slip rearend?
Unless it comes stock on the base level SE (which I am 99.999999% sure it does not), I am going to go with a big negative on that one.
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

okay , you're only owner , cool . and you've obviously now, never put one in . cool . so i guess that aint it .
sounds like you're all set then .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.