clutch question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > clutch question

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Nymisus

clutch question

at least that is what I think it is....I was told that my throwout bearing is dying......and had a couple questions....I was have been quoted about 600 for the job which is alot I think....I would rather do it myself if I can save some money....my quetion is looking at my manuals it looks pretty complicated to get to and you would have to drop the transmission.....has anyone done this before....also, would it be worth just gettting a new transmission?? I'm not real smart when it comes to engine stuff I can follow instructions and all but I don't know anything about what it really does or anything like that

Herculined, rock it air intake, tb spacer, warn heavy duty front bumper with D rings and 2 KC 150watt Daylighters, warn rear bumper with tire carrier, 1" BL and 1" MML, 4"RE suspension w/dicos sitting on 33x12.5 swamper TSLs on rockcrawler
Nymisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Silver yj

Getting a new trans would be a waste and expensive if there is nothing wrong with your trans itself,just pull the trans and the bearing will be on the shaft of the trans.
Silver yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
Nymisus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver yj
Getting a new trans would be a waste and expensive if there is nothing wrong with your trans itself,just pull the trans and the bearing will be on the shaft of the trans.

but how difficult is it to do that?? I have never done any major work like that and would be a little worried about messing something up
Herculined, rock it air intake, tb spacer, warn heavy duty front bumper with D rings and 2 KC 150watt Daylighters, warn rear bumper with tire carrier, 1" BL and 1" MML, 4"RE suspension w/dicos sitting on 33x12.5 swamper TSLs on rockcrawler
Unread 04-11-2004, 05:26 PM   #4
Silver yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymisus
but how difficult is it to do that?? I have never done any major work like that and would be a little worried about messing something up
It's not real diff but if you are not use to doing things to your Jeep then I would suggest doing it.A quick discription for you:Unhook battery, Have Emergency brake set , remove the shifters,remove starter,drives shafts,put a jack under the transcase and remove the skid plate,drain the fluid's out of trans and trans case,remove speedo cable,remove houseing bolts ( all but 2 ) have another jack or trans jack under the trans itself then remove the other 2 bolts,when you pull the trans away the bearing will be inside the bell houseing.Doing this on your back will be a pain and like I said if your not use to do things like this it can be a pain.
Unread 04-11-2004, 05:28 PM   #5
Silver yj

I just read my reply and I said I would suggest doing and I ment would'nt sorry
Unread 04-11-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
Nymisus

yeah that sounds a little complicated for me...although I would be willing to try if I had someone that knew how to do it??? anybody??
Unread 04-12-2004, 01:04 AM   #7
xxxflhrci

600 bucks is high to replace a $25.00 part. It should take no more than 3 hours to do. I would put a fair price on it at about 200 bucks.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #8
Nymisus

a little update...I decided to get some estimates from as many places as I could and I couldn't get anything cheaper than 680 after tax and everything....the stealership wanted almost 1200.....and the funny thing is the cheapest place is a jeep specialty shop.... oh well looks like I'm going to have to end up dropping alot of money and waiting longer for more mods.....oh and they said I would have to replace the pressure plate, and some other parts along with the bearing
Unread 04-24-2004, 10:06 AM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

If you are going to pay to replace the t/o bearing, might as well do the cluch while you are in there. If you have a question about the cost, have the shop break the charges down. Should be cost per hour X flat rate(time it takes per the book) + parts. Ask them if there is anything you can do to lower the cost(ie remove the drivelines, inspection plates, shifters, ect.yourself).
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 09:52 AM   #10
Nymisus

well last night it happened....I was backing out of my driveway and as soon as I hit the street my clutch froze up....really hard to push it down and couldn't shift gears or anything....went down to the place I usually take it to and they called their towtruck...now I am waiting for him to show up so I can get her all fixed up.....they said they would probally have to replace the clutch but don't really know until they take it apart and look at it.....I hope its not going to be ungodly expensive but I don't think I have much luck there.....anyways, I have to go say goodbye to my baby for the time being.....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.