JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   Clutch pedal very stiff and unable to put in gear. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/clutch-pedal-very-stiff-unable-put-gear-1570266/)

Jeep4x4TJ 09-02-2013 08:17 AM

Clutch pedal very stiff and unable to put in gear.

I have a TJ and yesterday I down shifted and heard something go * tink* the clutch pedal went straight to the floor and was only responsive in the last inch or so of travel so that I was still able to shift gears. Now today I tried to drive it to the shop so I could work on it and I put it in reverse got about 15' out of the drive and the pedal went stiff and I couldn't rip it out of reverse as I was still moving with the brake held so I had to turn off the ignition to stop moving. Has anyone had any similar problems? I could use some input on this!

schitzangiggles 09-02-2013 08:42 AM

Have you checked the linkage that ties the clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder?
How much fluid is in the master cylinder? If that gets low and air gets in, it causes the pedal to act weird.

Jeep4x4TJ 09-02-2013 09:05 AM

no I haven't checked that out yet but it sounded like something broke when it first happened. I was thinking its the clutch pedal return spring but I am open to suggestions.

Jeep4x4TJ 09-02-2013 06:11 PM

The linkage is ok and I am not losing fluid. So I'm narrowing it down to the fork return spring or the clutch return spring.

schitzangiggles 09-03-2013 12:46 PM

How many miles are on your jeep?
If it is near or over 100,000 get a new clutch kit to install since you'll be in there any ways.

Jeep4x4TJ 09-03-2013 01:04 PM

I just had the clutch replaced about 15000 miles ago and the clutch that was in it didn't even need to be changed. I have 147k on it now and will probably get another 150k out of her. I just need to fix the problem at hand first and I'm not sure if this is a common problem because when the clutch was replaced before everything else was gone over and replaced.

schitzangiggles 09-03-2013 06:40 PM

I just hate pulling stuff apart to fix one thing, putting it back together and then a few weeks later, pulling it all apart again to replace the other part that broke that I could have slapped in while I had it apart the first time.

Jeep4x4TJ 09-03-2013 08:12 PM

Oh I completely agree which is why I will be checking everything over but its a new clutch already so maybe I'll replace the throw out bearing and I might take the rear end civers off to clean the gears out and replace the gear oil. Its all about preventative maintenance and keeping everything new or in like new condition!

Jeep4x4TJ 09-04-2013 01:15 PM

Well I thank you guys for the replies but it was definitely the fork return spring or retainer spring as mopar calls it. So I basically had to tear the tranny out for a $5.00 part go figure.

JeeperCreepers7 09-04-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep4x4TJ (Post 15871486)
Well I thank you guys for the replies but it was definitely the fork return spring or retainer spring as mopar calls it. So I basically had to tear the tranny out for a $5.00 part go figure.

Well at least it was ONLY $5, could be much worse! Glad you got it worked out...:cheers2:

The time now is 10:29 AM.