Clutch master and Slave - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Clutch master and Slave

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
R2e2emmerson

Clutch master and Slave

Good day. 1988 YJ. I just bought this and the clutch didn't work very well. It was hard to put in gear. The pedal was very light. I drained the old fluid, which was black as night, pumped through new fluid and bled all the air out. I test drove it and it seemed to work good. I let it sit over night and test drove it again and had to pump the clutch 20-25 times before it worked. Test drove it for 1/2 hour and worked beautiful.

I cant tell if the slave is leaking cause it is inside the bell housing and need to pull the tranny. It doesn't seem to be leaking.

Could this be the master cyl seals are toast?
Can the slave cyl fail and not leak?
If there was still air in the system, would that cause me to have to pump the clutch up?
I thought I bled all the air out of the system, but should I try to bleed it more?

R2e2emmerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
JTGary
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Air in the clutch lines may be causing your problem. Try bleeding them again. If you do need to replace the master or slave cylinders do them both. A new master will exert more pressure on the old slave and cause it to fail. I know this from experience. Does your tranny have an inspection plate that you can remove and see if the bell housing is covered in brake fluid?
JTGary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
R2e2emmerson

No there is no inspection plate. It is leaking a small amount on oil at the rear engine seal so I can not tell if there is clutch fluid as well. If I pull the trans then I will be doing the rear engine seal, the slave and clutch come in 1 package for about $200 so I would do both of them and the front trans seal. I am going to test drive it again after work and see if it needs to be pumped up. If so then I guess I might as well just replace the master and the slave.
R2e2emmerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
clutch , cylinder , leak , master , slave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.