Clunking in the Rear... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Clunking in the Rear...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
04WrangSport
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Clunking in the Rear...

I have a 04 Wrangler sport with a dana 35 in the rear... For awhile now every time i gas it to go, it feels like someone is taking a sledgehammer to the ***-end of my jeep, and it happens everytime.

Ive jacked it up to see if i could see anything wrong, the pinion is still tight, but there is play in the driveline about an 1 to 1 1/2in of play as i grab the driveline and rotate it back and forth. plus i can move the wheels in and out like the wheel bearings are shot. on both sides.

Guess the question is, what would cause the banging in the rear end when i hit the gas? any sugestions before i pour a lot of money into this.

04WrangSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Supertrooper50
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ring and pinion
Supertrooper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
dave_dj1
1994 ZJ 

any other ideas? I noticed today that my d-30 axle shafts move in and out way more than I would like them to!

To the OP, have you checked your control arm bushings?
Unread 06-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
DropeTine99
1981 CJ7 

I'd start taking the axle apart.. But First take the diff over off and check for play in the gears.

Looking for rebuilt T-5 transmission.
DropeTine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Supertrooper50
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It was my driveline after 2 yokes, new leaf springs, gears, pinion and carrier bearing a rebuilt t case
Supertrooper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
04WrangSport
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to say i got it figured out, it was the rear lower control arms the whole time, they were completely shot, so i replaced those and it was no more clunking at all... Now i just need a longarm kit
04WrangSport is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.