Clunking coming from transmission in all gears...suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Clunking coming from transmission in all gears...suggestions?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
wrangler0415
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Clunking coming from transmission in all gears...suggestions?

Hey guys my 04 wrangler with 30,000 on it is making a strange clunking noise while in all gears. Sometimes it seems to be louder when the engine is warm. The Transmission fluid is at a perfect level and bright red, I change my oil frequently and there are no leaks anywhere..

When I shut it off it kinda sounds like a diesel shutting off with the clunking stopping soon after i turn the key. I've heard about piston slap in the 4.0 engines but I just done know. The jeep runs just fine i just want to fix this noise. Anyone got any ideas?

wrangler0415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Funny, I just opened a thread about this too. I'm thinking a bad flex plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
wrangler0415
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Haha that's what ive been seeing on different posts too...seems like that might be the issue. Have to check it out tonight.
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
wrangler0415
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bolts seem to be tight on the flexplate...
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You pulled the tranny? Wish I had time to do that. Look for cracks or broken pieces.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
wrangler0415
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You dont need to pull the tranny to access the flexplate bolts, just take that access cover off and spin the flexplate. If you were checking to see if it was cracked it's probably a good idea to pull the tranny then..I took a long screw driver and put it to my ear to see if i could pin point the sound and it seems to be coming from the oilpan...I'm really thinking it might be piston slap, maybe lifter?
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Possibly. I know mine is the bellhousing. A lifter is pretty much constant light ticking. Mine used to do that.

Quote:
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
wrangler0415
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah mine is more of a clunking noise instead of a ticking when the motor is running even when its in gear, Even when its warmed up...you'd think it go away if the engine warmed up though.. i just knew what it was, driving me crazy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.