Clunking coming from rear.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Clunking coming from rear..

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
98kkk

Clunking coming from rear..

I was taking off from a stop sign pretty fast and i heard a clunk clunk....now it does it whenever i get on the gas...more when i am turning but will do it when i am going straight. Could it be the trasfercase or axle?? I have a D35...its a pretty loud clunk too..sounds almost like it jumps a gear. Thanks

98kkk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
de6w6it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98kkk
I was taking off from a stop sign pretty fast and i heard a clunk clunk....now it does it whenever i get on the gas...more when i am turning but will do it when i am going straight. Could it be the trasfercase or axle?? I have a D35...its a pretty loud clunk too..sounds almost like it jumps a gear. Thanks
My buddy had this in hi 97 tj, and when he took it to a friend so they could diagnose and fix it, his friend got in it, gave it gas, and the rear end exploded. I would say take off the rear diff cover and check in there.
de6w6it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a stock suspension?

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
TJSUPE

Check your Front and rear track bars too. They may be loose.
TJSUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check the suspension as others have said, but pull your rear cover and check for broken teeth on your spider gears. If you have a track lock it might just be broken down fluid, but it doesn't sound like it.

Tom
Unread 06-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #6
battallion14
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check the rear end as mentioned and also grab hold of your rear shocks and shake them to make sure they are still firmly in place. You wouldn't be the first to break a bar pin or have a shock slip off the bushing.
Unread 06-22-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So what was it?

I hate finding old posts in my searches where the OP shows up with a question or problem but never follows up with whatever answers he's found for the benefit of others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.