Clocking the 231 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Clocking the 231

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 08-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
paparker21
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Clocking the 231

I must be bad at searching because i'm sure these two questions have been asked tons of times:

1) When it comes to clocking my 231, what is generally considered the better option (A) A clocking ring with liberal use of RTV to try and minimize leaks or (B) Redrilling the output adapter of the AW4

and

2) If i'm going to drill the AW4, how much minimum rotation to end up flat bellied? What is the most rotation to avoid major floor modifications?

and maybe i lied about how many questions...

3) Has anyone ever reported issues related to clocking their TC too far and starving the gearbox of oil?

paparker21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You didn't say what vehicles the parts are from, why you are clocking, or which way you have to go. I know on an AX-15, which also came in both Wranglers and XJs, the tail casting of the trans had flanges with 6 cast in mount points wide enough in the clock circle to have either holes for the high clocked stock Wrangler, or low clocked XJ, though only one set of holes were drilled. In my case, I drilled new holes in the rear flange of the trans to match the YJ higher clocking bolt hole pattern.
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
paparker21
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, I think vehicle info is in my profile but it's a 91 xj with aw4 and I'm clocking the rear output higher. Reasons aren't terribly important, but it's to make space for my frame side uca tower mount and to allow a raised crossmember.
paparker21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
billy_butler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

as long as you keep the bottom of the t-case level you should need to worry about the oil pick up, the oil pick up (if i remember correctly) is on the driver side with the drain plug. as long as you dont bring that end past level i would not see any issues. i would look at the novak website and see if there are any adapters they make for clocking the case there is a ton of knowledge to be had about drivetrain components there.
billy_butler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
maximus1000
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I used a clocking ring -however now the rear seal on the output shaft doesnt contact the input shaft on the tcase, so it leaks like crazy. Im probably going to remove it and drill...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.