Clicking from starter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Clicking from starter

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
jramirez86
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Clicking from starter

I have a 95 wrangler with a newly installed 90 wrangler 2.5L engine. After stopping coolant leaks etc I finally tried to start her up and the starter just clicks and doesn't turn over. Now I've read about the CPS being a possible issue and ill get to that BUT I currently have the starter from the 95 installed since it was newer. From what I could see it looks identical even tho oreilly has 2 different part #s. so no prob i can put the old one tomorrow. Here's the weird part, when I try to turn it over the clicking continues even after I take the key out of the ignition. I have to disengage the battery for it to stop. Any help?

jramirez86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
DaemonForce

Sounds like the starter solenoid is stuck on stupid. When was the last time you replaced it?
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
jramirez86
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I can't say I have the whole thing is only 4 months old. I've only had the jeep since March then I blew a piston thru the block. I'm new to the scene but after tracking down a 2.5 here on the island I jumped on the opportunity even tho it's from a 90. The solenoid is built into the starter on these correct? If so how could I unstick it from STUPID MODE [ON] ?
Unread 07-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #4
DaemonForce

Well aloha kakahiaka! (*・ω・)ノ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jramirez86 View Post
The solenoid is built into the starter on these correct? If so how could I unstick it from STUPID MODE [ON] ?
Oh God, that's right. These things are more consolidated on a 4cyl engine! You don't have that cute little 5 way device mounted next to your battery like some adorable Frankenstein experiment. I'm not even sure what the cable hooks into.

You've seen the typical cylindrical Ford starters that we use on our inline 6 engines and such. I think the solenoid on yours is a smaller cylindrical device mounted to the main body of the starter like some sort of tumor. I think I have one of these starters but it's been a few years since I've checked what all is there. I know mine is enclosed in the same protective shielding as the starter(which is probably the first problem with it). I'm willing to bet they can be swapped out so that you can avoid replacing entire starters but I don't see that going on when I check NAPA. All I see are complete starters. There shouldn't be any reason to go through that much trouble.

After looking around some more I found this thing. I can't believe I'm suggesting this but it looks like Chrysler might actually be able to help.
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
jramirez86
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Aye bro howzit! Yeah the solenoid is built into the starter. Does anyone know if there's any difference in the starters on a 95 vs a 90? I'm clean up down stairs and make sure the teeth on the starter caught right today after work.
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
DaemonForce

When looking up ignition parts for a 90 Wrangler, a starter relay becomes available and I don't believe that's what you need. The solenoid is mounted on the body of the starter. If there's a junkyard around there where you can find similar looking starters you MIGHT be able to pull a solenoid from one but even I think that might be a little extreme. This is supposed to be a new starter and it shouldn't be giving problems this soon.
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
jramirez86
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok am update. I installed the old starter and now i can try and crank it and it still doesn't turn over but now when I stop trying to crank it it actually stops so that's a good thing I suppose. I'm trying to get my hands on a code reader to see if its reading a bad CPS or tps but no luck so far
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
DaemonForce

The 2.5L is fuel injected? That's probably one main source of trouble if you're relying on sensors just to start the engine. It's worth checking.
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
jramirez86
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I release some pressure from the manifold so it's getting fuel. I'm really tapped for ideas at this point

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.