CJ7 Won't Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > CJ7 Won't Start

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
dlathem

CJ7 Won't Start

Hey guys, I'm building a CJ7 from a rolling chassis I bought and HOPED to hear it run today, but no luck. It's an '82 with a 258 and Weber carb. Wiring-wise, all I've connected are the ignition switch, ignition module (Motorola stock), coil, dizzy (stock), battery of course, and alternator. I thought that I connected enough to make it crank but maybe not. The fenders and grille are off awaiting paint, so I had to rest the starter solenoid on the frame to ground it and make it turn over. It sounds like it's firing but will not crank, it sort of sputters if that makes sense.

I've not connected any vacuum lines other than the dizzy to the carb, I thought it would at least crank without them connected / plugged.

The battery is grounded to the alternator. The engine is grounded to the motor mount. Since I had to rest the solenoid on the frame to make it turn over, I'm wondering if it's not grounded well enough to kick over and stay running.

I know I have to figure out the bird's nest if vacuum lines, hook up all of my electrical (inside and out), but I'd just like to hear it run this weekend. I'll ask for help with vacuum lines and all another day. :-)

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this

dlathem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.