CJ-7 - Loss and Regain of Power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > CJ-7 - Loss and Regain of Power

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 08-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
Snickrz75

CJ-7 - Loss and Regain of Power

Hey guys...I hope you can help!

I have a 1984 CJ-7 with a 258. It has 155,000 miles on the original motor and it runs very strong...most the time. Lately it has been acting like it is dropping cyliders intermitently while driving, idleing, whenever it feels like it. I can drive all day and have no problems or I can have it happend every other light.

I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor with no change in the situation. I though that the rotten exhaust might have been causing some sort of compression issue and it was replaced today. Same problem coming home. I figure it has to be an ignition problem, but I am at a loss now.

I bought it two weeks ago and the original owner is at a loss to (go figure) this is my second Jeep and the last one had a similar issue (which turned out to be the carb). Any help out there?

Matt

Snickrz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Intermittent issues can be any number of things, but I would look at ignition first. Do a search for HEI conversion and get rid of the Duraspark module. In a nutshell, you take a HEI distributor from a 80's Chevy 6 cyl engine (find at a local u-pull yard), change the gear, replace the cap and install new wires, open the gap on the plugs slightly and you're good to go. Most people can have everything done for under $100. Then do a search for Nutter bypass. It will talk about disconnecting the metering pins from the back of the carb. There's a good chance doing this will cure the intermittent engine problems.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.