Chevy 4.3 into a CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Chevy 4.3 into a CJ5

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
carlbirt
1957 CJ5 

Chevy 4.3 into a CJ5

I am looking at putting a 4.3 v6 from a Chevy blazer into my cj5. To avoid some of the adapters I'm going to be putting in either a Muncie SM465 or a Muncie SM420 along with a NP205. By putting in the NP205 i can eventually run a doubler if at some point I decide that its needed.

Plan is to find a full blazer that still has a good motor in it for the swap so i can have everything that is needed. By this I mean the wiring harness, computer, rear axle, motor mounts?, and i am sure i will find a few more odds and ends.

Just want to know if someone here has done the same. Looking to see what it involves I know that there is a decent amount of work that is involved with an engine swap. Just looking to see what problems or issues others have run into.

Thank you

carlbirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Carl,

Check out NOVAK JEEP CONVERSIONS on the internet. They have a lot of useful information on most jeep conversions. I am sure they can help.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
carlbirt
1957 CJ5 

Thank you. I will go take a look.
Unread 11-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
will228
2005 LJ Wrangler 

if you're going spend the money and time to go through a swap you might as well go with a V8 of some sort. I did a 5.2 swap and cant see a v6 being worth all that effort.my 2 cents
will228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
carlbirt
1957 CJ5 

Was thinking of doing a v8 but decided not to. For what I am going to be using it for don't need that much power. I also used to own a blazer and the 4.3 had more power then I ever used and was a tough little motor.
Unread 11-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Carl,

Check out my signature for information about my thread. I dropped a 4.3 in my 1992 YJ. It is "frame up" restoration but it has a lot of information that can help you. I posted a lot of photos and put a lot of information just so people like you can see what it is going to take and make an informed decision. It is missing in a lot of threads with conversions.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
carlbirt
1957 CJ5 

Thank u I will differently take a look at that. I am in the same process that u were in but for the fact that mine is a cj. It should help me out a pot more then with just the motor.

Thank you again
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
mdavi03

Late model V6 into CJ5

If you use a late model V6 with injection, using the late model computer and wiring harness, be aware of all the security interlocks.
I used a 2006 V6 with it's wiring, and had to reprogram the computer to bypass the ignition magnetic lock, and had to add a 2nd stage wiring to the ignition switch in my CJ. The computer apparently looks for two inputs at the same time.
mdavi03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.