Chevy 350 Swap??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Chevy 350 Swap???

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 07-21-2005, 01:02 AM   #1
Bethlehem
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Chevy 350 Swap???

I put all the question marks in the title to signify that this is a question and not a tutorial. That said...

I have a Chevy 350 crate engine that I'm planning to install in my TJ in the future. How far in the future exactly, I don't know. The TJ has 150K miles on it and I drive 100 miles a day. I also have AC.

I know a guy who has done this before on a CJ, but I don't know if his knowledge will apply to my TJ. I basically need to know what to have ready when the time comes, and if it is even possible. Motor mounts, adaptors, hoses, wires, springs etc. I'm getting ready ahead of time because I plan on keeping my Jeep forever!

Bethlehem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
600dollarXJ

I was wondering the same thing except for an XJ
600dollarXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
bluesfn7

I just finished putting a LT1 with a 4L60E tranny in my 94 YJ. I bought my adapters for the motor mounts and for adapting the tranny to the Jeep NP231 transfer, a new 4 core radiator and electric fan. I got all this from the guys at NOVAK. The guys at NOVAK are pretty impressive and very helpful to. The radiator is specifically designed for jeep V-8 swaps it will bolt right in. I got an aftermarket wiring harness and had the computer reprogrammed from CENTECH. It was kind of a pain to wire the GM engine to the YJ due to Jeeps wonderful wiring diagrams. I used the Jeeps sensors and sending units to run the guages. I also put heavier u joints in and eventually going to heavier axles. If your engine is carb and not fuel injected then it should be alot easier and cheaper.
K&N filter
Dual Flowmaster exhaust
new Bestop seats and soft top, new console, B&M shifter
To many more extras to list!!!
AKA "The Money Pit"
bluesfn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #4
Bethlehem
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks very much for the info.

Yea, my engine is carbed baby. Does anyone know of problems involved with the AC? I can't live without it.
Unread 07-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
78jeeper258

Good to hear your motor has a carb. I've got a CJ-7 I am doing this to right now. I know the body is different but I'll toss my 2 cents in on what I have run into so far.

You gotta get the mount kit and an adapter bellhousing at the least. There may be additional adapters for your setup though. Novak or Advanced Adapters both seem to make a good product.

As for your A/C, the only possible problems I can think of are:

The flexable lines may not be long enough to reach the new motor
The pully on the A/C may be the wrong depth compaired to what you will find in GM
The bracket may need reworked to fit on the chevy.

On a side note, be sure to get the angle of the old motor before you pull it out so you can match the angle when you re-install
78jeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
myztikrob

will your tj be a DD after the swap?
Unread 08-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
Bethlehem
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
will your tj be a DD after the swap?
DD? Sorry, I'm new but am learning fast thanks to this message board.

Please guys, tell me anything you can think of that I'll need to know. This isn't a "what-if" question since I've already invested a lot of money in the future project.

I was wondering if the added power would cause any problems in the drive train. Was worried that maybe the TJ wasn't designed for that much HP. The crate engine is supposedly in the 250-300 range.
Unread 08-02-2005, 04:53 AM   #8
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Weldig in motor mounts and bolting up drive line parts is easy. The part of an engine swap that needs the most brainpower, in my opinion on just doing mine, is integrating the wiring and cross function to the Jeep. That is, getting the engine's computer, the Jeep gages, key switch, fuel pump, etc, all wired properly and operational. You did not mention if the crate motor was injected or carbed, and if injected, does it have a harness and computer.
Unread 08-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
You did not mention if the crate motor was injected or carbed, and if injected, does it have a harness and computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethlehem
Yea, my engine is carbed baby.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #10
bcar240

"DD" = Daily Driver
bcar240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 03:26 PM   #11
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Since it's carbed and has no computer, you are going to have an interesting time trying to thet the TJ dashboard to work.
Unread 08-02-2005, 08:51 PM   #12
myztikrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethlehem
DD? Sorry, I'm new but am learning fast thanks to this message board.

Please guys, tell me anything you can think of that I'll need to know. This isn't a "what-if" question since I've already invested a lot of money in the future project.

I was wondering if the added power would cause any problems in the drive train. Was worried that maybe the TJ wasn't designed for that much HP. The crate engine is supposedly in the 250-300 range.

DD Daily Driver. I ask because in some states if you do a motor swap the motor has to be the same or better than the original engine in the vehicle i.e. if you have a fuel injected motor originally you have to put another fuel injected motor in you cant digress to a carbed motor if you want it inspected. thants at least were i live i dont know about your state so you might want to look it up just in case.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.