Chevy 350 Lifter tap - valve clatter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Chevy 350 Lifter tap - valve clatter

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 08-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
martyweir
1976 CJ7 

Chevy 350 Lifter tap - valve clatter

OK, now I'm frustrated - I have a Chevy 350 in my 76 CJ 7 - for a few years I've noticed (can't ignore) a loud on and off valve clatter / lifter tap when my engine heats up. After adjusting the valves to no avail, I noticed that several (2-3 per side) push rods did not have oil coming up through them. I pulled these and cleaned the crud out, and then I decided to tear appart the top end and pull and clean the lifters / and do a kerosene engine flush. After very thoroughly flushing and cleaning the engine, tearing down the lifters, soaking them in oil & tranny fluid, then pumping them back up, I reinstalled it all by the book.

When I got it up and running I set timing and adjusted the valves - hoping the additional clatter I was now hearing would go away, but it's actually gotten worse and steady!!! I have consistent loud tapping from both sides of the engine at cool temperatures. I am still getting very very little oil out of several pushrod holes on each side. My oil pressure is very good, and a vacuum test shows no issues with the valves. I wonder if I should replace the lifters now, or should I try to pump them up again?

I've only run the engine a total of 2 hours since reassembly. If there is a way to pump up lifters while in the engine, can I do this without the agony of pulling intake apart again??? Any other possible reason for no oil coming up pushrods???

martyweir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.