Chevy 305 in my YJ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Chevy 305 in my YJ???

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-27-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
Parabola

Chevy 305 in my YJ???

Hey right now i have a 2.5l 4cyl in my YJ...is the 305 a good engine to use for off roading?..this is also my daily driver to tho so do you think this would be a good swap?

Parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 12:17 AM   #2
MarcusV8

Hi,
I had a chevy 307 (maybe the same as your engine?) with a AX 15 Gearbox in my YJ.
It wasnīt that bad even for offroading though you have to modify at least your cooling system and your tranny.
I was running the original cooler from the 258 and it was way too small. Second problem ist your gearbox. If you have an 4 zyl. your Jeep is running the AX5 and donīt think it can stand the torque of an V8.
Think about changing these parts and you can have a lot of fun.

Marcus
Unread 02-08-2004, 02:10 AM   #3
VileDaRKNiGHT

The problem with the 305 (if i remember my chevy engines correctly) is that it is like the chrysler 318 in that it has an undersized bore (below 4 inches) the auto manufactures back in the 60's discovered that the "magic" bore size was a little over 4 inches (4.08 if i remember correctly). its not all that much if a problem if you wanted to leave the internals stock being the only pistons out for it are mostlikely stockers. you can modify a 305 but whatever works good on a 305 works great on a 350. and like marcus brought up. with a V8 you will want to swap the transmissions to either a th350 or even a rock crusher. another transmission that would be an interesting setup in a jeep would be a ford AOD. the AOD is a great transmission and can handle the abuse of a chevy 305 (or a 350 if you decide to go that route). the obvious question is how would you get a ford transmisson to bolt to a mouse motor. simple advanced adapters (i think thats the name) has a kit out for it. i even helpes one of my professors install a built up ford AOD into his corvette with a 502 rat pushin about 600 HP but we strengthened it up a little with kevlar cutches and bands, 3000 stall converter and a shift kit.
VileDaRKNiGHT is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.