cherokee Lerados... help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > cherokee Lerados... help

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
jeepish59
1996 ZJ 

cherokee Lerados... help

Do you own a Laredo? Does your laredo have an 8 pulley configuration on the serp fan belt? Need help. it is like nobody in the world but me and some mail man have lardos with 8 pulleys.

I broke a serp belt today and cannot find a diagram on how to wind a belt on a 96 4.0 gr cher laredo with 8 pulleys. Can somebody have mercy on me, a medium talent shade tree mechanic, and help me find a diagram of an 8 that is an 8 pulley configuration for a 4.0? Even if you have to draw a diagram by hand and scan it in that is fine. I cant believe it is so hard to find.

A big, huge, gigantic,

Thank you
ish

jeepish59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
cincyjeeprs

What is the extra accessory that makes "8"?
Are the other 7 the same as in the standard routing diagrams?
Can we assume that the under hood diagram decal just shows 7?
You don't have a blower on that thing, do you?
cincyjeeprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
cincyjeeprs

You are not misinterpreting the pivot end of the tensioner as #8 are you?
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
jeepish59
1996 ZJ 

thanks for the responses folks. No blower. No odd accessory. Here is an approximate config attachment...I hope
jeep-belt-config-200-3.png  
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
jeepish59
1996 ZJ 

Hey cincy. checked your profile. says jeeps departed. Not ready for that yet. must be a real separation anxiety process there eh? cant imagine it. been through the empty nest with the kids, (that was pretty easy), the wife has walked out a couple times, but seeing the jeep being towed away??? Must be devastating?
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
cincyjeeprs

Now I am more confused than ever.
Do you have a '96 XJ with a 4.0;
a '96 ZJ with a 4.0;
or a '96 XJ with a ZJ 4.0?

The accessories and belt routings are slightly different on XJs & ZJs. But, I am sitting here with a '92 XJ FSM and a '98 ZJ FSM, and both show 7 pullys, not 8. I went outside and counted 7 on my '92 XJ. My son-in-law has the '98 ZJ 4.0 at work. I'll go take a look at that when he gets home.

What I do know is that an XJ uses the power steering assembly as the tensioner. Not sure on the ZJ. Haven't been under the hood of that one lately. My previous post about the belt tensioner was in error. It's the V8s that have those (so much easier, IMHO).

At any rate, you really need to show up at the Dunes on Saturday Aug.4 so I can see this 8 pully setup. We have a group of about a dozen and a half Scramblers doing the Dunes that weekend.
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
cincyjeeprs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepish59 View Post
Hey cincy. checked your profile. says jeeps departed. Not ready for that yet. must be a real separation anxiety process there eh? cant imagine it. been through the empty nest with the kids, (that was pretty easy), the wife has walked out a couple times, but seeing the jeep being towed away??? Must be devastating?
Since we can't seem to answer the original poster's question, I'll respond to your hijack.
My "departed" Jeeps include a few trade-ins, and 3 totalled ones. I usually drive them until my wife or daughter wreck them. The '92XJ is my usual DD. I bought it with 140K and it now has 235K. The '90 Waggy gets out once or twice a month; The '98 ZJ my daughter drives; the '04 WJ Overland is my wife's DD; the '85 Scrambler is the off road toy; and the '57 Utility Wagon is yard art at the moment.
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
cincyjeeprs

Here you go...
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/need...tic-56392.html

This is for a RH drive. Is this what you have? You mentioned the mail Jeep. If so, that's kind of important. This doesn't match your sketch, but it's the only 8 pully I can find. LOL.
Unread 05-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
jeepish59
1996 ZJ 

Do not let wives read...My question for cincy was from me.

Do not let wives, girlfriend (or girlfriends if you have more than one Jeep) or to be all inclusive don't let your Jeepnificant other read....

Cincy. I know I am new here but can one highjack their own post?...Oh well it, it, it, it happens (Hmmmm. my wife stole those two keys again). Sorry. could not pass up a chance to poke an old pro like yourself. I sent it as a personal message rather than as a part of the open forum not knowing if you would ....oh well...in case your answer contained personal info as it did I did not want to put you into position where you had to post open. anyway. my point stands. a jeep that dies is a sad sad sad thing but it, it, , oh thats right. crap happens.

I did mention a person who also searched for an 8 pulley setup and he was a postman but I dont know if he had a right or left hand drive. Mine is good old Mexican made(?), American normal left hand drive.

As to including the info about the former postman, I am new here an learning that sometimes less is more. the less info I include the less chance of a misunderstanding. however, whatever my 96 gr cher Laredo really is, cj lj tj or jfk i am not sure and from what I have researched, it all changed in '96 and even that opinion varies?

From what I have been able to find the options in the profile section does not have enough options for a '96??? but then again, I just learned how to get the four wheel drive linkage to slip into the nylon bushing after months of trying to force it through (I learned nothing from procreating three children.)

At any rate, I am also remolding an old house. The Jeep keeps throwing the belt, and since I got the 4 wheel linkage connected the Jeep has no reverse but goes forward and shifts through all other gears, starts in neutral but then immediately launches like a mechanical bull.

I can put a motor in the dang thing but cant get the serp belt to stay on. My wife says her house and nonexistent garden does not look like it is suppose to for memorial day which means MY own belt "needs not come off. , Jeep enough..., house and garden, not enough...!"

Translation.... Jeep motor/tranny enough Troy built/Black&Decker not enough.

Practical application..."Yes deaaar."

The author of this post takes no responsibility for any outcome, the result of wife, girlfriend or Jeepnificant other reading said document. IF she/they threaten you with action such as the one found in this document, i.e. the belt, the fault is yours for the following reason. If you were careless enough to leave Jeepforum.com open on your computer or were trusting enough to let your wife, girlfriend or Jeepnificant other have your password then it's your own frick'n fault because I warned you.

Jeepish59

Last edited by jeepish59; 05-24-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Unread 05-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
cincyjeeprs

ROFLOL.
Sounds like you have your hands full.
I always seem to hijack my own threads, so no harm there.
I still don't know if you have a Cherokee XJ like your profile states, or a Grand Cherokee (ZJ) as you describe it. Those are two totally different models and the 4.0, while used in both, is accessorized and pully-ized differently.

As for "throwing" the belt, you might need a new harmonic balancer. Is there any rubber peeking out from around your main drive pully? It's either that, or one of the idler pulleys is toast. Give them all a good wiggle.

The only 8 pully arrangement I have ever come across is for the RH drive models, used in U.S. Postals, and for export. I bought a piece of cooling system plumbing once that was manufactured backwards - turned out to be for export - so there are differences not usualy seen. Yours is a real enigma.

Now, if you come back and say "oops, it's really a Masserati V8 in there, not a Jeep 4.0, I will hunt you down and beat you with a rusty camshaft.

Well, it almost time for the long weekend. I am going home to work on the Jeeps (wait...what's that dear...you need me to help clean the house...crap).

Can anybody out there help our friend? I am out of guesses.
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
jeepish59
1996 ZJ 

My other jeeps a Masserati 4.0 ZJ

Have a memorable Memorial day. Get muddy, or get sandy (unless your wife's name is something different of course) whatever it is you do in your Jeep and have fun doing it.

Aug. 4. It's a date...I mean, I'll look you up. I just wanted to clarify in case Sandy has access to the same rusty camshaft.

By the way. One of the idle pullys is not squeaking or making any noise yet but is hanging up a bit every once in a while. so that is the culprit for that one I bet. Im beginning to think the previous owner of this motor did some kind of conversion package on the motor. Maybe put a bilge pump in the back seat for drunk passengers or something. I doubt the guy had a blower or anything on it because the motor is good and strong. I will start looking at a NORMAL ZJ and see what is different with my ZJ.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.