Check engine light HELP ASAP please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
MountainGoat02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Check engine light HELP ASAP please

I have an 02 wrangler 4L with ~70k on it. My check engine light came on so I went to autozone to get it diaged. The code they pulled was large air leak in the emissions system. They told me 99% of the time its the fuel cap. Got a new one, then I disconnected the battery to reset the light and it came back on withing 100 miles. I noticed the hoses going into my vapor canister were badly cracked so could that be the cause? I havent been able to track down new ones yet.

im stuped on this because there isnt much too the emmisions bs on it and everything else seems fine. Im assuming the system does some kinda check every 50-100 miles on the evap system. I would tear it out but i live in jersey so unfortunately we are in the stone age and still have inspection. Please help thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM
WhiteMtnJeep
It Should Have Been MEG!!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The code for "evap system - small leak" is usually the gas cap. "Evap system = large leak" is usually the evap lines to the tank, pump (in left rear fender well), and the evap (charcoal) filter. I had the same issue and after checking the lines found a few of them cracked and dry rotted. Replaced all of them, reset the computer, and problem solved.

Silence is Golden, Duct tape comes in Many Colors.

Journeyman Meterman IBEW Local 611

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
post #3 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
MountainGoat02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Awsome thank you I will check that out. How much and where did you get the hoses? I went to autozone by me and none of the workers knew what an evap system even was let alone have the part
post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM
WhiteMtnJeep
It Should Have Been MEG!!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I can't remember if it was 1/4", 5/16", or 3/8" but I used fuel system rubber hose for it, around 6' of it and it was plenty.

Silence is Golden, Duct tape comes in Many Colors.

Journeyman Meterman IBEW Local 611

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)

Tags
check engine light , evap canister , hoses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.