Check engine light HELP ASAP please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Check engine light HELP ASAP please

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
MountainGoat02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Check engine light HELP ASAP please

I have an 02 wrangler 4L with ~70k on it. My check engine light came on so I went to autozone to get it diaged. The code they pulled was large air leak in the emissions system. They told me 99% of the time its the fuel cap. Got a new one, then I disconnected the battery to reset the light and it came back on withing 100 miles. I noticed the hoses going into my vapor canister were badly cracked so could that be the cause? I havent been able to track down new ones yet.

im stuped on this because there isnt much too the emmisions bs on it and everything else seems fine. Im assuming the system does some kinda check every 50-100 miles on the evap system. I would tear it out but i live in jersey so unfortunately we are in the stone age and still have inspection. Please help thank you.

MountainGoat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The code for "evap system - small leak" is usually the gas cap. "Evap system = large leak" is usually the evap lines to the tank, pump (in left rear fender well), and the evap (charcoal) filter. I had the same issue and after checking the lines found a few of them cracked and dry rotted. Replaced all of them, reset the computer, and problem solved.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
MountainGoat02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Awsome thank you I will check that out. How much and where did you get the hoses? I went to autozone by me and none of the workers knew what an evap system even was let alone have the part
MountainGoat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I can't remember if it was 1/4", 5/16", or 3/8" but I used fuel system rubber hose for it, around 6' of it and it was plenty.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light , evap canister , hoses

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.