Check engine light on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Check engine light on

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
iceman1947
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check engine light on

I have a 1999 TJ with a 4.0 engine. I have a check engine light on. The code says my number 4 cylinder is misfiring. So far I have: completely tuned the engine, changed the idle solenoid, changed the number 4 injector, cleaned the fuel rail, cleaned the injectors, changed the electronic control (big bucks) but the light still comes on. It runs really rough at idle and takes noticeably longer to start. The block has been checked for cracks. Any ideas? I can't keep driving it like this. I'm never sure if it's going to start or not. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

iceman1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Ajcobosco
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Confirm the right gap in spark plugs
Ajcobosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman1947 View Post
I have a 1999 TJ with a 4.0 engine. I have a check engine light on. The code says my number 4 cylinder is misfiring. So far I have: completely tuned the engine, changed the idle solenoid, changed the number 4 injector, cleaned the fuel rail, cleaned the injectors, changed the electronic control (big bucks) but the light still comes on. It runs really rough at idle and takes noticeably longer to start. The block has been checked for cracks. Any ideas? I can't keep driving it like this. I'm never sure if it's going to start or not. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
All the injectors have power coming from a common source. The ground for each one is controlled by the ECM. So, check for power at the injector when it is running. If it has power then check for intermittent ground also. Next check for spark at the spark plug.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.