Check Engine, Crank AND Cam position sensor codes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Check Engine, Crank AND Cam position sensor codes

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check Engine, Crank AND Cam position sensor codes

I recently swapped in a high lift Comp Cam, lifters, Mopar valve springs and Cloyes dual roller timing set. I originally used the wrong timing mark/keyway combo on the crank gear and tried to start it. Looked up the instructions and immediately figured out the error of my ways.
Anyways, my problem is that I now have a check engine light that is giving "stored codes" for both the Cam and Crank position sensor. Should I be replacing these or did I just confuse them with my install? Will it go off eventually?

Thanks,
Dusty

Ruffnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bump...Anybody?
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffnek View Post
I recently swapped in a high lift Comp Cam, lifters, Mopar valve springs and Cloyes dual roller timing set. I originally used the wrong timing mark/keyway combo on the crank gear and tried to start it. Looked up the instructions and immediately figured out the error of my ways.
Anyways, my problem is that I now have a check engine light that is giving "stored codes" for both the Cam and Crank position sensor. Should I be replacing these or did I just confuse them with my install? Will it go off eventually?

Thanks,
Dusty
You altered the mechanical lift/duration of the valve system. BUT the ECM does not know that so your valve timing is 'off' according to your factory ECM. What did the kit say about this?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Comp Cams actually recommends this cam for fuel injection, so I was assuming it would work with the computer.
Unread 03-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
GreenDevil
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Did you try clearing the codes and running your engine afterwords? It is possible that the codes are stored from when you tried to start it with the wrong timing....but don't quote me on that, cause I'm not sure.
GreenDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post
Did you try clearing the codes and running your engine afterwords? It is possible that the codes are stored from when you tried to start it with the wrong timing....but don't quote me on that, cause I'm not sure.
Easiest way to fix that is to dump the learned memory. Remove the + battery cable end and ground that end out for 30 seconds. Put it back on and then see what happens.

If the factory basic values in the ECM cannot recognize the new values needed because you put in a bigger 'bump stick' then to the ECM you have 'jumped time'. See if you are getting any spark at all. You may need to get your stock ECM reprogrammed to match the new cam/lifters you installed to get your timing in sync with those new metal bits. Go to teh site tahe made the cam/lifters and see what they say There are programs/tools to alter a factory ECM if needed. I say if needed to qualify what I m ight suggest.

I am assuming that you put this engine back together again and have it timed properly. That right there might have been a big leap of faith for me!!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post
Done that, light comes back on and still says stored code. That is exactly what I said when they told me what it read, "Could it be because I put the cam in 120 degrees out and tried to start it?"
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Easiest way to fix that is to dump the learned memory. Remove the + battery cable end and ground that end out for 30 seconds. Put it back on and then see what happens.

If the factory basic values in the ECM cannot recognize the new values needed because you put in a bigger 'bump stick' then to the ECM you have 'jumped time'. See if you are getting any spark at all. You may need to get your stock ECM reprogrammed to match the new cm/lifters you installed to get your timing in sync with those new metal bits. Go to teh site tahe made the cam/lifters and see what they say There are programs/tools to alter a factory ECM if needed. I say if needed to qualify what I m ight suggest.

I am assuming that you put this engine back together again and have it timed properly. That right there might have been a big leap of faith for me!!
I will try this. Disconnect the + battery terminal and ground it?
Comp Cams says this cam is compatible with FI with no mention of a reprogram. "Xtreme 4x4 series, PN 68-232-4" The lift is considerably higher than stock but the duration is actually a bit less on both sides.
There is no timing adjustment on my engine (That I'm aware of) unless I cut the ears off of the distributor stem so I can rotate it.
It actually runs great, just want the damned light off and make sure I'm not doing any damage anywhere.

Thanks,
DK
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I will try this. Disconnect the + battery terminal and ground it?
Comp Cams says this cam is compatible with FI with no mention of a reprogram. "Xtreme 4x4 series, PN 68-232-4" The lift is considerably higher than stock but the duration is actually a bit less on both sides.
There is no timing adjustment on my engine (That I'm aware of) unless I cut the ears off of the distributor stem so I can rotate it.
It actually runs great, just want the damned light off and make sure I'm not doing any damage anywhere.

Thanks,
DK
DO NOT CUT THOSE EARS OFF!! The ECM will simply correct the timing you alter until it reaches the factory presets, then you get another CEL!

Let us know how you make it after you dump the 'old' learned memory by grounding out the + battery cable end after it has been removed from the battery for thirty seconds or so.

Unread 03-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
DO NOT CUT THOSE EARS OFF!! The ECM will simply correct the timing you alter until it reaches the factory presets, then you get another CEL!

Let us know how you make it after you dump the 'old' learned memory by grounding out the + battery cable end after it has been removed from the battery for thirty seconds or so.
Wasn't planning on it, lol! Like I said, it runs great, the CEL just worried me. I will try tonight and report back.
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Light goes off but comes back on after a few minutes...
Unread 03-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Light goes off but comes back on after a few minutes...
What code # does you code reader show?

Unread 04-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dealer (Friend works there) said crank and cam position sensor codes.
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #14
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bump, still driving this, have never figured out what the problem was. Runs like a champ with the CEL on.
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Bump, still driving this, have never figured out what the problem was. Runs like a champ with the CEL on.
Since you installed the timing chain set improperly the crank and cam signal are not in sync according to your factory presets in the PCM.

The crank sensor looks for movement and sends a signal to the PCM when it does detect movement. If none is 'seen' you get no spark and no fuel.

I think the cam sensor only times the firing of the plugs. So you adjusted the distributer by swinging the rotor back to make it right or you rewird the plug wires to make it right. Now it runs just fine, BUT the cam and crank sensor signals are not sync'ed. That must be why it runs just fine but the CEL is on. The fix: a 1" piece of electrical tape over the CEL...

Tags
cam position sensor , check engine light , crank position sensor

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.