Changing Front Diff Ratio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Changing Front Diff Ratio

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Lindo77

Changing Front Diff Ratio

Hi all,

I just swapped by blown front diff with one from a wrecker. It said 3.55 on it (stamped), but after realizing there was a problem, I did the wheel turn counting "thing" and discovered it is 3.73. Really would rather not try to find another front diff. Wondering what it would take to change the gears to 3.55? Is it a complete rebuild, or easier? Can a home mechanic do it, or should I take it in?
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Thanks for your help.

Lindo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

No I would go shop only on that one.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

thats a pretty tough job to get it right. last time I checked a new ring and pinion were about $250 and labor isnt cheap on that either. It might be cheaper to find another axle.

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

If the jeep has any modifications and or you wheel it I would swap the rear gears if anything. Nothing wrong with a little more gearing. Gears are a fairly time consuming and very particularly set up thing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.