Changing DS from 1330 to 1310... not a conversion u-joint fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Changing DS from 1330 to 1310... not a conversion u-joint fix

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Changing DS from 1330 to 1310... not a conversion u-joint fix

Short story, can I simply pull off the axle end of a DS which has the 1330 ujoint and the ID splines and slide on a matching spline with a 1310 u joint size or do the splines need to be matched like a ring and pinion set?

Long story.

So, I have a TJ Rubicon... came with 1330s all around. Custom suspension and when setting up, the 1330 on the front comes close to the upper CA. UCAs and LCAs adjustable so I dial it in within so much to get caster, and yoke/u-joint clearance when cycling the suspension.
I had a time where I did some hard braking and the tires were singing ( not locked up but some noise ) and no problems. I avoided everyone's bumpers and such.
since then I have added a winch and had to make another hard stop last night and the axle yoke contacted the UCA. The metal is blue so I'm sure it threw quite a show of sparks. I can possibly turn the yoke more of a round shape to gain a little clearance but I think I need more than just a little. so, like above, can I just use the end of a regular TJ DS with 1310 joints and simply slide it on my DS at the splines then re-balance? Or, do I need to have the spline end cut off and a new spline set ( od and id splines ) with a 1310 end welded on?

Thanks for the help...

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.