Changed to Full Synthetic Oil and have a leak. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Changed to Full Synthetic Oil and have a leak.

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Changed to Full Synthetic Oil and have a leak.

I didn't do much research before changing my TJ to synthetic. I just read many posts that pointed out how great it was. Maybe I just read what I wanted to read, but.....
I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but I developed an oil leak or two. I got under it and noticed that it was coming from a couple of places. I tightened the valve cover and the oil pan since they were noticeably too loose to hold the oil in completely. The only place I notice oil now after running the Jeep is between just behind the plate of the transmission. Probably the RMS.

Now, for my question.... If I change back to conventional oil, would it more than likely slow the leak or eliminate it? Is there any problem changing back to conventional? I would think that if you can change from syn, you could change back w/out problems.

Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member

Last edited by SpoiledRotten; 07-28-2008 at 12:55 PM..
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Most likely you had the leak prior to the change and the Synthetic may have flushed some "crud" out letting it go ahead and leak. Regular oil will more than likely not fix your oil leak. Get the seal replaced and stick with the synthetic. Good luck.
BTW, you can switch back and forth everytime if you like it won't hurt a thing!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

^ Yep good advice there.

I to had leaks when switching over the first time. Got 'em fixed. I switch back and forth between dino and syn every summer and winter. No ill effects.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good news from you guys. Thanks. I really like the feel of the synth oil. Just seems like more power and a smoother running motor. I also put it in my wife's Mazda Millennia and it seems to have more power as well. Could be my imagination, but sure seems to be better. I didn't want to change back to the dinosaur blend.
Unread 07-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
superadd

Yep synth is the way to go and yes you feel more power for a reason.
We use royal purple in our race cars and with my own eyes I have seen dyno results and a mustang with a blown and stroked 4.6 put down 680 to the wheels with joe gibbs break in oil then drained it, filled with dino ran again and the same air temp and engine temp with about the same results.

Drained the dino put in full snyth (royal purple) stuck back on the dyno and pulled 687 several times

So I would fix the leak and keep the snyth going cost a little more but protects better and MORE POWER ( deep grunt) ohohh ohhhhhh
superadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good words of advice and proof. I'll keep running the full syn. I really like it.
Unread 08-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went out on a limb slightly. I broke down and bought some of the oil leak stop. It states that it reconditions the seals and gaskets. It looks as thin as the synthetic oil I used, so I don't see how it would stop up anything. I don't see it as something with a "gel" consistence, that would actually be put in to plug a leak. I'll see what happens and report my findings. If it prolongs the RMS change out, I'll be happy.
Unread 08-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superadd View Post
Yep synth is the way to go and yes you feel more power for a reason.
We use royal purple in our race cars and with my own eyes I have seen dyno results and a mustang with a blown and stroked 4.6 put down 680 to the wheels with joe gibbs break in oil then drained it, filled with dino ran again and the same air temp and engine temp with about the same results.

Drained the dino put in full snyth (royal purple) stuck back on the dyno and pulled 687 several times

So I would fix the leak and keep the snyth going cost a little more but protects better and MORE POWER ( deep grunt) ohohh ohhhhhh
So $7 a quart Royal Purple got him a 1% HP gain over cheap oil; for my Jeep that comes out to a whopping 1.5 HP increase if I see similar results. Not sure I find it worth the $ for that gain. Heck taking out the back seat would give me about the same weight/HP ratio gain as adding $50 worth of that oil. Just an observation and my thoughts.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.