CEL - SKIM Key P1685 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > CEL - SKIM Key P1685

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
sporticon03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

CEL - SKIM Key P1685

Hello all,

I got into my 03 tj sport this morning and to find my check engine was on. It's a 4.0 auto with 85k. The key toggle trick displayed codes p0155 and p1685. The first is for an 02 sensor which I replaced maybe 2 years ago so I'm going to look for the receipt. The second is for an invalid SKIM key according to google. The thing is that the jeep starts and runs fine. If the keys were messed up, wouldn't it prevent starting/ running?

I had a remote starter installed 2 weeks ago and think it could be related but still doesn't make sense. I plan to disconnect the battery to reset and see what happens.

Does anyone have experience with this code? My searches bring up a lot about vehicles that won't start which isn't true in my case. Any help is appreciated.

sporticon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
CJGraphicks
2000 WJ 

The remote starter has to override the key chip shut off feature. My guess is they guys that installed it bypassed the system rather than reprogramming to accommodate. If you clear the memory, my guess is it wont come back until you use the remote starter. Either that, or someone has secret agent style copied your key but not its chip and is trying to steal your car.
CJGraphicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
sporticon03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had them look at it and they installed a computer bypass rather than a bypass using a spare key and I think the issue is gone. Unfortunately the O2 sensor is still showing a code.
sporticon03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.