catch can - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > catch can

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 12-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
BryceBrown
1987 XJ Cherokee 

catch can

I am puting a catch can on my jeep but does it need to have some sort of breather hole I have an inline six its out of an 87 I have a little spectre filter inthe front of the valve cover but its still blowing out

forumrunner_20121206_174922.jpg

BryceBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Blowing out is common. That is why they put a PCV valve in there.
As far as the catch can. you will need a vent. It will need a piece of foam or other porous medium to try to get as much of the blowby as possible.
Personally, I never got why anybody would want to externally vent a crankcase. All it does is get a film of oil on everything.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
BryceBrown
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Back in 87 there is three different ports on thw valve cover the one in the rear closest to the fire wall is the pcv and its not even a true pcv its hose that goes to the manifold that's it the one in the middle is the oil filler cap and the one closest to the front end is a breather it waS manufactured that whay that year its a breather that goes to the back of the air box that's how it was made and you can't plug it you'll ruin the motor I'm not trying to make a breather its just for the blow by its a catch can people don't add them to the motor that's how they were made I was asking a question so don't post on my thread unless you know what you are saying
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
BryceBrown
1987 XJ Cherokee 

And the catch can is to catch the can that's why its called a catch can
Unread 12-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
BryceBrown
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Oil
Unread 12-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceBrown View Post
Back in 87 there is three different ports on thw valve cover the one in the rear closest to the fire wall is the pcv and its not even a true pcv its hose that goes to the manifold that's it the one in the middle is the oil filler cap and the one closest to the front end is a breather it waS manufactured that whay that year its a breather that goes to the back of the air box that's how it was made and you can't plug it you'll ruin the motor I'm not trying to make a breather its just for the blow by its a catch can people don't add them to the motor that's how they were made I was asking a question so don't post on my thread unless you know what you are saying
The original hose was routed to the intake via the air cleaner. This is called a closed system.
Any time you break the closed system, you make it an open system.
You are correct, Jeep did indeed run a ccv system for a number of years on the 4.0. Sometimes in my hurry, I overlook the year.
There are a number of reasons for excessive blow by (the only real reason for a catch can), however, since you no longer value my input, I will keep them to myself.

Oh, by the way.....
This is a period .
This is a comma ,
This is a capitol letter A. It goes at the beginning of a sentence.
Spell check is highlighted by a red underline. simply click on it and it will give you some options for the word.

I'm sorry. I rankles me to be told to go pack sand by someone who can't pass fifth grade english, So I will pack up my thirty years of mechanical experience (including ten as a professional mechanic) and leave you to your silly little Monster can.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
BryceBrown
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Ok let's go in order for starters it is still staying a closed system hinse the catch can it is the same idea as that hose going into the air box that's why there is a breather off of it second I did not post this thread asking if it was dumb or nit to have a breather valve on my valve cover because that's how it was built I didn't care that you thought it was dumb but third I did not know that in order to be a qualified mechenic you had to be an english major to the forgot to say that at mechanics school and when I took my ase certification and finally I get the same story every day in my shop some guy that is 400 years old saying that us young guys don't know anything I'm sure you think carburetors were the greatest invention to I don't care that you are older than dirt and that you can a good grade on your spelling quiz when it comes down to it you obviously don't know
Unread 12-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
BryceBrown
1987 XJ Cherokee 

But im/ not trying to sit here and argue I post on here to ask other jeep proffesionals so that I can further my knowledge there is always something to learn so if you have something that would work better or any ideas id like to. Know I'm sure you know a lot to

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.