Caster and camber. How to adjust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Caster and camber. How to adjust?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
xrideordiex27
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Caster and camber. How to adjust?

Hey I have a TJ with a d30 front axle that I recently swapped in and ever since then my caster and camber have been way off. I can't seem to figure out how to adjust it and neither does my friend who's good with cars so I figured you guys can help out. Thanks in advance

xrideordiex27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
ajmorell

Camber isn't adjustable from the factory. Caster is adjustable via the cam bolts on the lower control arms. The only way to adjust camber is with offset ball joints. If your camber is way off then either your current ball joints are completely trashed or your housing is bent somehow.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
xrideordiex27
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well I have negative camber with the tops of the tires closer than the bottoms. Ballpoints are fine. So this is not adjustable?
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
ajmorell

No, not without the offset ball joints. Sounds like something is tweaked on your axle
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
Caster is adjustable via the cam bolts on the lower control arms.
By 03 hadn't the factory stopped putting in the cam bolts? Horseshoes still there on the brackets, but no longer bolts.
Unread 08-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
By 03 hadn't the factory stopped putting in the cam bolts? Horseshoes still there on the brackets, but no longer bolts.
You might be right, I kinda just assumed that they kept using them. I would think they would implement some means of caster adjustment though.
Unread 08-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
You might be right, I kinda just assumed that they kept using them. I would think they would implement some means of caster adjustment though.
I can tell you for sure that by 06 there was no means of caster adjustment on the factory setup.
Unread 08-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
xrideordiex27
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Forgot to add the axle is off a 97 jeep TJ. I also can't use cam bolts with my clayon long arms because the can bolts aren't rounded it's flattened. I'll try the offset ball joints but one side does it more than the other so do they have more of an offset than the other? Sorry for all the questions I'm just kinda mad at myself for buying these axles I should have waited and found a better set
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
ajmorell

I think you can buy them with certain amounts of offset, but I haven't looked in a while. As for the caster, if you have clayton's longarms then it's a simple length adjustment on the radius arms.
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
xrideordiex27
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ok, anyone know what offset i should get? or is it just a hit or miss thing? heres what it looks like:

Unread 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If that photo is legit, offset ball joints aren't going to help you.
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Holy crap you can see the axle tube is bent dam. Its beat get another axle
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
ajmorell

Wow, that thing is toast. You need another axle man, even if offset ball joints could cure the camber problem I'd be willing to bet that front end is going to eat through bearings like none other.
Unread 09-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
xrideordiex27
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna try to see how to check if the axle is bent... And yes the picture is legit it's kinda bad.. I have a Dana 30 with 3.07's perfectly good but the gearing I have now is 3.73's and gearing labor is too much money for me to have the gears swapped over.. I'm on such a tight budget with this thing after I do my rear long arm I'm gonna be done for awhile (minus fixing the front end)

So with that being said any suggestions for me who's on a budget? If I had the money to blow I would regear my perfectly good d30 I have in my garage to a 4.10 o 4.56s and do the rear as well then have 2 good axles.
Unread 09-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #15
spyjeep0520
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well you have the gears now in your extremely f'ed axle just swap em withe the good if you have someone who can help wont be too too bad its just critical on your preload, lash, and gear tooth mesh only allows so much play
spyjeep0520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.