Is carter one barrel enough? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Is carter one barrel enough?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
blaylock6502

Is carter one barrel enough?

Am rebuilding my 258. I have an edelbrock 2 barrel intake. I thought the carb on it was a one barrel but bought a replacement one barrel carter and when I got the existing carb off it was actually a carter two barrel. Because of financial reasons I adapted the one barrel to the two barrel intake. I am now doing a low budget rebuild and plan to spend about three hundred bucks on a rebuild kit. I can afford to buy a two barrel carb right now but also don't want to melt a valve or piston by running too lean. Is this setup going to supply enough fuel for me?? Please forgive me for my lack of carburetor knowledge and carter names (bbd and yf and so on) please feel free to correct me! Thanks!!

blaylock6502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

$300 for a rebuild kit? Holley makes some of the best carburetors on the market and rebuild kits are only $30-50. If that.

You can buy a brand new Holley 350 for less. Or I have a couple of good Webers in my spare parts cabinet I'd part with one if it'll help you out... My whole Jeep has been low-budget, high-forethought to do the best I could with what I had... The Holley or Weber is a great option.

If you want a fair price on one of my Webers shoot me a pm! I'm listing a few of my things actually and you get first crack at the carb.

As for choosing the right carb, look online for a carb cfm calculator. It'll ask for a few engine details etc then spit out a number. My 4.2L i believe needed like 243cfm or 283 minimum, do the Holley 350 2bbl is dead on for these engines.
GrEmLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
blaylock6502

Sorry gremlin I guess I should have been more clear. Three hundred for an engine rebuild kit. Pm sent on the carbs that may b for sale! Thanks!
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
blaylock6502

Hey gremlin I tried to send you a pm and it said there wasn't room

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.