Carter BBD nuttered 258 need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Carter BBD nuttered 258 need help

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Reply
Unread 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
WHiTEBOi619
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chula Vista, Ca
Posts: 131
Carter BBD nuttered 258 need help

I have a nuttered Carter BBD carb on my 258 and it needs replacing. I was looking online for one and found one but it is without the electronic stepper motor. my question is will it fit and work good without problems? Mine was nuttered by the PO and i dont know a lot about carbs.

__________________
[QUOTE=squazz;11526232]Any thing willing and over 18 :rtft:[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=JoonHoss;11360457]and other oft-repeated yet misinformed myths which are continually perpetuated.... my Jeep doesn't have leak...you don't have to pay taxes...I can find any G-spot...[/QUOTE]
WHiTEBOi619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
mbcj7
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 24
Not 100% sure if this helps, but my 83 CJ had a non stepper carb on it when I got it. I ordered a rebuilt one with the stepper on it. Just dis the nutter last night and all is good.
I got the jeep from a very good friend who drove it a while non-buttered with a non-stepper carb. My gues would be that yes it will work fine
mbcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
ninjakid
Senior Member
 
ninjakid's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Posts: 908
You ever think about getting a Weber or Motorcraft?
They are a lot better IMO.
ninjakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
WHiTEBOi619
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chula Vista, Ca
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcj7 View Post
Not 100% sure if this helps, but my 83 CJ had a non stepper carb on it when I got it. I ordered a rebuilt one with the stepper on it. Just dis the nutter last night and all is good.
I got the jeep from a very good friend who drove it a while non-buttered with a non-stepper carb. My gues would be that yes it will work fine
helps a little. My uncle owned it before me and he did the nutter but the carb is done for, he has rebuilt it 5 times and said it just needs a new one. i found one on ebay that i thought might work since i have the nutter but i wanted to ask on here to see what other people think or if anyone has tried.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakid View Post
You ever think about getting a Weber or Motorcraft?
They are a lot better IMO.
yea but also cost more and this is my DD that has to pass smog in California. right now i have little money.
__________________
[QUOTE=squazz;11526232]Any thing willing and over 18 :rtft:[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=JoonHoss;11360457]and other oft-repeated yet misinformed myths which are continually perpetuated.... my Jeep doesn't have leak...you don't have to pay taxes...I can find any G-spot...[/QUOTE]
WHiTEBOi619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 9,468
What's the problem with the carb? Describe the issue. Is it an idle problem or driving problem?
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N.E. Alabama
Posts: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHiTEBOi619 View Post
helps a little. My uncle owned it before me and he did the nutter but the carb is done for, he has rebuilt it 5 times and said it just needs a new one. i found one on ebay that i thought might work since i have the nutter but i wanted to ask on here to see what other people think or if anyone has tried.




yea but also cost more and this is my DD that has to pass smog in California. right now i have little money.
While the non-stepper BBD will fit and can perform very well it will most likely draw the attention of the smog agent, then if he notices the ignition has bypassed the computor.....
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
WHiTEBOi619
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chula Vista, Ca
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
What's the problem with the carb? Describe the issue. Is it an idle problem or driving problem?
well its been rebuilt i think 4 or 5 times already by the PO. It has bad idle and low power. i just hate driving with it
__________________
[QUOTE=squazz;11526232]Any thing willing and over 18 :rtft:[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=JoonHoss;11360457]and other oft-repeated yet misinformed myths which are continually perpetuated.... my Jeep doesn't have leak...you don't have to pay taxes...I can find any G-spot...[/QUOTE]
WHiTEBOi619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
258 inline 6 , carter carb , cj7 , electronically controlled , nutter bypass
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.