Carter BBD no stepper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Carter BBD no stepper

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
unrulycj
1983 CJ5 

Carter BBD no stepper

I have an '83 CJ-5 258 with Carter BBD that has the stepper. The PO did the nutter bypass and I added a Mallory dizzy. I'm pretty sure the FOMOCO box is no longer connected to anything, except providing me one hot wire to my Mallory. The stepper is not connected at all...connector cut by PO. Can I get this stepper carb to not be soooo rich? Or, can I buy a non-stepper Carter-type and adjust the mixture manually?

thanks.

unrulycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

There was a trick to setting them to a neutral position and then unplugging them. You're kinda beyond that. Yes, a non-stepper motor carb can be used. Webers work great bTW.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
unrulycj
1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
There was a trick to setting them to a neutral position and then unplugging them. You're kinda beyond that. Yes, a non-stepper motor carb can be used. Webers work great bTW.
Thanks cruiser. I've seen a lot if chatter about Weber's being hard to maintain. I have an MG with dual SUs. They are always complained about...I rebuilt mine with the master kit, set them up with my desired needle and jet combo and balanced them. That was 2005 and I haven't touched them since.

Now, that was all said to ask, which of the complaints are valid and which can be chocked up to lacking skill or laziness?
unrulycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

The other option is to take the stepper off the carb and adjust it. Once it's unplugged, it's pretty much taken out of the loop. If someone near you has one with the same BBD compucarb, you can unplug their stepper and plug it into yours, then turn the key just to on, ground the stepper body (it will spin to center itself. Don't be scared when it moves)
Usually that is not the problem with over-fueling. The line coming in is bent in such a way that the weight of the fuel filter actually unscrews the seat, which raises the float level.

Photo borrowed from a Mopar site shows the seat leaking. The body through screws come loose too and adversely affect fuel economy and running. Metering rods in the top front can be adjusted lower for better economy (if out of adjustment)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulycj View Post
Thanks cruiser. I've seen a lot if chatter about Weber's being hard to maintain. I have an MG with dual SUs. They are always complained about...I rebuilt mine with the master kit, set them up with my desired needle and jet combo and balanced them. That was 2005 and I haven't touched them since.

Now, that was all said to ask, which of the complaints are valid and which can be chocked up to lacking skill or laziness?
As a multiple carb guy myself, I would not hesitate to do a Weber down draft conversion were I in your shoes. I've done a "synchronous" Weber conversion on a 258 with excellent results. Companies like Redline have kits with pre-jetted carbs so there's no issue there.

Unread 03-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
The other option is to take the stepper off the carb and adjust it. Once it's unplugged, it's pretty much taken out of the loop. If someone near you has one with the same BBD compucarb, you can unplug their stepper and plug it into yours, then turn the key just to on, ground the stepper body (it will spin to center itself. Don't be scared when it moves)
Usually that is not the problem with over-fueling. The line coming in is bent in such a way that the weight of the fuel filter actually unscrews the seat, which raises the float level.

Photo borrowed from a Mopar site shows the seat leaking. The body through screws come loose too and adversely affect fuel economy and running. Metering rods in the top front can be adjusted lower for better economy (if out of adjustment)
I have to ask.

Where do you come up with this crap? Has little or nothing to do with helping the OP but somehow satisfies your need to spin yarns about stuff that is useless.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.