Carburetor Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Carburetor Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-17-2003, 09:32 PM   #1
CJ7Jeff

Carburetor Question

Allright, someone is going to have to explain this to me like I am a 2 year old. Apparently through all of my posts and everything I still cannot figure it out.

My electric choke on my Weber 32/36 works just fine. I set it and I am 99.99999% sure that it is set correctly, or close enough. The choke works fine the butterflies stay closed until the engine warms up and then they open.

My problem is that I don't understand what in the heck the fast idle is doing. I followed Webers instructions to set the fast idle speed. I let the Jeep cool off so the choke engages when I push the throttle. Start it up and the fast idle is doing its thing. As soon as I touch the gas the fast idle cam drops down a step and and the idle speed drops. WHY? I thought the purpose of the fast idle was to stay engaged until the choke started to open. Am I missing something like maybe another adjustment? Or, am I just a moron and need to sell my jeep and my tools and never work on a vehicle again? Surely someone has gotten this figured out.

Unread 02-18-2003, 06:14 PM   #2
JJL290

I too have a weber and do not like the choke setup

Adjust for more choke and high idle will stay
JJL290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 10:49 PM   #3
CJ7Jeff

okay that is where I am confused. I thought it would do that. I had the choke adjusted to where it wouldn't hardly open when the engine was hot and the idle still dropped down. I am out of ideas.
Unread 02-19-2003, 04:34 PM   #4
JJL290

When I set up my carb I had the same problem you have.
you have to turn the choke more. you may not like that way ,but if you want your high idle to last it must be done. You need it in cold weather. Set your high idle 2000 RPM cold engine
I had to adjust the choke so much that the flap or buttery fly would be closed to much . I was so choked the motor would not start,know air could get in I solve this by taking a paper clip, a large one. I bent the clip so one side was in the carb to keep the flap from closing all the way the other side of the clip I mounted to one of the air cleaner hold down bolts , so it would stay there.
I know it sounds crazy but that is all I could do, I must have high idle in new York cold weather

It must be tested on cold engine if it is very cod out the flap will close to much and the engine will not start. The paper clip will keep the flap from closing all the way
Unread 02-19-2003, 04:45 PM   #5
CJ7Jeff

I'll give it another shot. Thanks!
Unread 02-19-2003, 06:39 PM   #6
JJL290

Let me know how it works for,maybe you can give me some tips.
The choke seems to only work well in warm weather

Out of the box high idle will not stay

They did not tell me I had to move to the
equator to use my Weber

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.