carbs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > carbs

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-20-2003, 05:25 PM   #1
ebhub

carbs

I was wondering what you guys think would be the best carb for a 87 yj. I was either going to get the Weber or buy the intake and 2 barrel carb from Holley. My jeep has the stock moter right now but I plan on upgrading to a header and a good exhaust.Which do you think would be better for the ole' 258

ebhub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2003, 05:51 PM   #2
johny1i

I need to save my little weber sermon so that I can just cut and paste it in here, but here goes: I fought my carter for 80k+ miles and finally replaced it with the weber a year ago--best $325 I could have ever spent. Tune it one time (one mixture screw--can't get easier than that) and forget about it, 18 mpg with 30" tires, and it's both strong and consistent/reliable. Do the nutter bypass at the same time so that the computer won't tamper with your distributor advance, then set your timing around 9-degrees at idle (with ported vacuum off the passenger side of the weber).

Try www.carbs.net for a good deal on it (no, I don't work for them or anything , just trying to help you out).
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2003, 07:08 AM   #3
mitchj01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with Johny, I had a weber on my first YJ back in 91 and loved it, just ordered one for my current YJ from Carbs.net, should be here next week.

BUT, I found these guys to have a $40 cheaper price on the K551:
Collins Brothers

I emailed Carbs.net yesterday to see if they will honor there claim of beating any price. I hope they will, I'd hate to have to send back my weber from them and order another one, I've waited long enough to get it.

1989 YJ 2.5L, stock
mitchj01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
bodi

...I love my Weber. I went from the Carter to the Weber and it was like night and day. The best price I have found is at Collins Brothers. You won't be dissappointed.
83 CJ7 w/remanufactured jasper 258 I6 w/t-5, Weber carb, new exhaust, PS, PB, 2 1/2" Lift, 31" BFG's, herculined interior and s**t brown paint job (for now) "in to deep..but thats when it starts getting fun"
Brown Jeep Club Member #2
bodi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2003, 09:23 PM   #5
Typhoon

Can I still Pass emissions if I upgarde to a weber?
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2003, 08:32 AM   #6
ebhub

carbs

Thanks for the input. I have been leaning toward the weber for awhile.I am completely tired of the Carter.I think when I get my taxes back I will be having a shopping list for the ole' jeep.Thanks
ebhub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2003, 01:39 PM   #7
mitchj01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just did the same thing with my tax money yesterday. Runs great, first time I have ever had it idling at 600rpm in gear and not stalling.
First stage throttle response is not much more then the carter, but when the second barrel opens up boy can I feel a difference.
I'll run it this week and then next weekend fine tune anything that may need it, timing, clean plugs and rotor. If I can find a Vacuum guage to borrow then I'll tune the carb better. Right now I left it at factory.

1989 YJ 2.5L, stock
mitchj01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2003, 05:22 PM   #8
JJL290

Typhoon

Can I still Pass emissions if I upgarde to a weber?
You asked

In New York I pass, The motor runs cleaner then with my stock Rochchester

My 1986 Jeep

http://www.geocities.com/jjl2902000/
JJL290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.