Carberators? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Carberators?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
stix304
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Carberators?

I am getting ready to drop my newly rebuilt 304 in my wrangler, and I am having trouble deciding what carberator I want. Any tips or sugesstions?

stix304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
ms198
1985 CJ7 

look at the holley truck avenger. its a great carb and it can handle off roading, unlike a street carb. it can handle steep angle and still give good throttle response.

to find the right size, do this equation.

max rpm x cubic inches divided by 3456. that will put you in the ball park. anything from 39 to 450 would work for you. i would try to find a 450 if i were you. check around and see what is available. and once you find one you want, check on ebay.
ms198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
BSInc
1985 CJ7 

I have a 470 truck avenger on my cammed 304, great unit short of fuel injection. if you want a cheeper route and still have the 2 barrel manifold, look into a motocraft 2100. simple and great off road as well.
BSInc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Typically on that size engine, a 600cfm Holley is the best all-around choice.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the cfm calculators, as they are VERY conservative. Also consider that despite the numbers the calculators give you, factories consistently put larger or smaller carburetors than the numbers showed were "right" on engines.....and they ran fine.
Often, you'd see engines that had two carb options...maybe a 2bbl on the base engine, and a much larger than a cfm calculator recommends 4bbl as an option.

To recommend one for you, I'd want to know how your motor is built, and what your wants/needs for it are.

For now, since you went to the trouble of upgrading to a V-8, I'm going to assume you desire more performance. In that case, the 470 isn't going to cut it for you. In the example someone listed above of a 470 on a 304, here is what you'd experience on stock 304's:
The 470 might feel a bit more responsive off idle, due to the smaller venturis compared to a 600. But, they 470 will quickly run out of breath as you rev it higher compared to the 600. That's not to say the 470 doesn't/wouldn't run just fine.....obviously, it will.
But let's say two identical Jeeps lined up side-by-side, and the only difference was the carb size. They take off, the 470 might get a nose ahead briefly, but the one with the 600 will walk off and leave it in short order.
Gas mileage with both properly-tuned is going to be a negligible difference. Remember, the 600 is still only 300cfm if you keep your foot out of the secondaries.

So, if it were me with your engine, I'd get the 670 Truck Avenger (too bad there isn't a 600), and just put a slightly different secondary spring to keep the back barrels from coming in right off the line...that'll take care of your throttle response, and you'll still have the benefit of the extra CFM that your engine absolutely CAN use at higher rpm.

If you don't plan on off-roading at steep angles, or if you're mechanically-inclined enough, get a 600 Holley and mod it to essentially be a Truck Avenger. Get the spring-loaded needles and seats, and install a rubber hose to connect the bowl vents with a vent hole in the top (old drag racing trick) and you have yourself a home-made truck avenger and the best size carb for your engine.

Tags
304 , carberator , rebuild , v8 , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.