Carb issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Carb issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Bradys
1968 CJ5 

Carb issues

I have a 68 cj5 - I believe with a 225 v6. I purchased it 20 years ago (it has sat covered most of the time). I am just now getting around to fixing it up. I rebuilt the carb. The carb is not the original - it is a Holley and according to the numbers - it was made for a 360 size engine. It runs at high rpm, but dies when trying to idle ( unless the chock is almost fully engaged). Even after rebuilding, cleaning, blowing out and new parts - it does the same thing. I even turned in and our both air/fuel screws - all the way in and taking them all the way out - the rpm's never really changed. Again - it was running at about 1500 rpm. Any help with this carb would be appreciated or do I need a new carb? Any recommendations?
Thanks

Bradys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

First, please identify the carb. Holly manufactured many carbs of various design's, identifying what you have will greatly help us.
That aside, insure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Check around the base of the carb and the PCV valve hose.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Bradys
1968 CJ5 

The carb is a Holley R 8699. I have not noticed any leaks. All vacuum ports have been blocked (rubber boots - all new) except for the vacuum advance ( I can pull this off and the engine speed will change slightly). The PVC hose comes out of the top of the carb - it is a new hose. Can I go to the junk yard and fined a Buick v6 carb that will bolt up? I assume based on what I have said - full chock to run - that I have an air leak somewhere? Since all ports have been blocked - the only other possibility would be the base gasket - I will pull the carb and use a gasket sealer and let you know. Thanks
Bradys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I believe that is a 2210. These are notorious for being somewhat cranky.
Your stock carb would be a Rochester2GC

These are excellent carbs, and though somewhat restricted CFM wise, offer very good economy and outstanding offroad performance.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.