Carb Flooding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Carb Flooding

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Navyjeepfan

Carb Flooding

Could use a little help! I have a 90 YJ with the stock carb. Carb and engine run like a top in the city, but when it's on the highway and I get her in 5th gear gas seems to dump into the carb from everywhere and she bogs down. The carb looks clean, jets float and bowl seem fine until she hits around 3000-3400 RPM constant. I'm no mechanic but it seems as though its time
to upgrade to the MC 2150. Any ideas on what may be causing this or is it time for a replacement? thanks for any help!time for a n

Navyjeepfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

To really be of much help you'll need to provide the details of your setup. Gearing, tires, if OEM stock Carter BBD (computer still in loop).

FWIW, I had trouble with my OEM computerized carter going much above 3200 rpm or so until I did the Team Rush upgrade. After the upgrade I could go to 4000 rpm if I wanted to. But seeing as the 4.2L makes peak torque around 2000 rpm, and peak horsepower around 3200 rpm, going above 3200 rpm isn't really going to be of any benefit.

However, bogging in 5th gear could be due to tall tires and tall gears. Pair 31" tires with 3.07 gears and you aren't going to get much power out of 5th gear.

If you still have the OEM computerized carter BBD check here: Adventures Under the Hood
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Navyjeepfan

I'm running 33x12.5's, but I can reproduce the flooding while the jeep is parked. I've removed the computer system all together, simply running igntion, carb and distributor..
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You specifically mention 5th gear in the original post, but then you say that you can reproduce the bogging in neutral.

So does the engine want to rev beyond 3000-3400 RPM at all, no matter whether in gear (any gear) or in neutral?
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
Navyjeepfan

It wants to rev, but even in neutral the engine starts to shake and bog down. Seems as though it's got gas coming in from everywhere. As I'm turning this into my daily driver (once the tires need replacing, I'll be getting smaller ones) and occasional off-roading (mostly beach), I decided to go with a new MC 2150, just waiting for it to come in. I will check into the gears today. Thanks!!
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Navyjeepfan

Ok, new carb in place. Still bogging down. Replaced and relocated the brain box, still bogged down.
Replaced the distributor and bingo, she runs like a champ!!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.