Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

cant shift out of park

498 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TDIJeep 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 jeep wrangler sport four door with 8700 miles on it. Today me and some friends went off roading and got into some water that went half way over the front lights and got some water inside of the jeep after we got out of the water my reverse lights started coming on by its self and the jeep would not come outta park. When the jeep finally went into drive it would not shift ut of first gear and the lights on the dash did not have the same drive gear highlighted that the shifter indicated. after two hours of drying out the jeep finally went in to drive with out having to manually put it into gear and it shifted through gears no problem but the lights on the dash are still acting up. any suggestions on what wrong??? Thanks!

#2 ·
you may want to look into some things you can do to protect your vehicle from damage before going swimming. Its a well develop topic on here.

They might give you some insights on whats wrong. i would stop driving a hydraulic based transmission when full of water. as it boils and vapours which i great for your valve body. dirty water is even better because when the water evaporates and vents out you will have two problems, one a huge amount of dirt in your valve body and not enought trans fluid to operate correctly, maybe drive not lubricate the trans.

Im sure that anything with a vent and lube will have dirty water in it, both diffs, transfer case, transmission, etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.