Can't make up my mind - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Can't make up my mind

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-22-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
TDanks76
1979 CJ7 

Can't make up my mind

Okay My four banger has a couple knocks in it and the tranny is going. i was able to talk my parents into letting me have the 350 out of their surburban. Now I have a tired jeep and a 350 efi motor in the garage. i can't decide weather to drop the engine into the jeep or just to sell all the stuff and buy a new six cylinder jeep.
If i did the V8 Swap which would be cheaper to get? An Auto or manual tranny? also what kind of transfer case should i get? Then there is the rear axel part. could I last a little bit with the D35 until I got enough money to get a D44 or a ford 8.8?
if anyone has a write up or parts list that would be awesome.

Sorry, I did a search but I guess i wanted info from my own thread, and you jeep master.

Unread 02-24-2003, 11:55 AM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Easy route?

350 with AX15 (you have the AX5 in your 4-banger) with a 23-spline NP231.. a 3-core radiator and AdvanceAdapter's 350 engine bolt-on motor-mounts.

Later on, flip in a Ford 8.8" rear end with disk-brakes from an Explorer (and I just heard that some Ranger's also use the same axle) - match the Ford's gear to your front axles 4.10 ratio (Explorers with the tiny engine have 4.10's) and call it done.

Price would be time, radiator, adapter for tranny - swap tranny and t-case for the one you want (maybe some cash would need to change hands), the motor mounts and some wires and hoses.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
TDanks76
1979 CJ7 

This is what I planned out so far. Ford 8.8 for the rear, and a 700r4 automatic trans mission for the chevy 350. now what kind of transfer case can I use? I think I need a Ford Np205? and suggestion? remember driver side out put for the front axle.
Unread 02-25-2003, 10:21 AM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Advance adapters has one to go from the 700r4 to NP231 - both 21 spline and 23 spline input-shafts (you have the 21).

The NP231 is strong enough stock to run behind the 350ci engine with few problems.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2003, 03:36 PM   #5
TDanks76
1979 CJ7 

Few problems? Does that mean that if I'm standing my rig up on the rear axles and really driving the heck out of it I should look into something else? Will the Np 231 (21 Spline) be okay for things like sand and a little mud? I'm mostly in the sand.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.