can you ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > can you ??

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-13-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
my litte red yj

can you ??

can you pull the engine, trans,transfercase out one shot if you remove the front grill all attched together and while i have it out get the ax5 trans rebuilt(synchos are going)and do a new clutch does this sound possible and if some one did it how well did it go mind you i have no compresser doing it the old way!! i guessed no one will buy myjeep with a knock in it so i guess ihave no choice to fix it and what is a good long block

my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2002, 01:44 PM   #2
Darko

You might be able to, but it would be hard. Heres how I pulled my engine. I rented a cherry picker for $20, if you have a good ceiling anchor you could use a comealong or a Hilift jack. I removed all the bellhousing to block bolts. I removed the front grill, hooked the cherrypicker up to the engine, then I applied pressure to the engine with the cherry picker so I could remove the engine mounts. Then I lifted the engine, and It slided out of the trans easily, a piece of cake. Next remove your driveshafts. Since you have a cherry picker rented or a ceiling anchor, take out your trasmission tunnel cover, and connect you ceilinganchor/cherry picker to the trans. Then remove the 6 bolts holding the skidplate to the frame,and lower it to the ground. I think this is the easiest way to remove the engine, trans, and xcase. Since you have a engine knock, maybe all you need to do is replace the main bearings, and that can be done without pulling the engine.
Unread 01-13-2002, 01:56 PM   #3
my litte red yj

yea Darko!i was thinking of that too but the engine still has that mileage on it and the trans syrcho's are going, has any one just did main bearings on a 4 banger with high miles ????
Unread 01-13-2002, 10:02 PM   #4
Willis91YJ

Little Red,
I know nothing about a 4 banger but from what I understand from talking to a mechanic in town you can pull the engine x-case and tranny in one piece if you remove the grill. The only thing you will need to worry about is that your engine hoist or however you are going to support it can handle the weight, becuase if that sonofa***** hits the floor those syncronizers just got really expensive. the only reason that I have even asked this question myself is that I just pulled my 4.0 to do a complete rebuild and I couldn't get to two of the block to tranny bolts. Insteand of doing it that way I drilled a hole in the firewall to get to the bolts but like I said from my understanding it can be done in the way you speak. Good LUCK!
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2002, 05:16 PM   #5
my litte red yj

thanks willis i am going to try that i think with all that grill stuff moved out it will work the little engine is only 3 feet long so i am going to attempt that i found a good engine for $13000 i guess that is a good price
Unread 01-15-2002, 05:43 PM   #6
Darko

$13,000??? It better be a Jet engine. You can buy a new 4.0L for $1300 if thats what you mean. That is way too much for a used Jeep engine, expecially a 4popper
Unread 01-15-2002, 05:49 PM   #7
my litte red yj

sorry $1300 pushed to many o
Unread 01-19-2002, 09:56 AM   #8
my litte red yj

i pulled the engine today and yes you can pull all 3 at one time with the front grill removed thank to all who replyed

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.