Can someone clear this up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Can someone clear this up?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Can someone clear this up?

OK, I am swapping an AX-15/np 231 into my comanche. The truck originally had the BA 10 i believe as it was an 88. However I also swapped in a 89 motor from my donor comanche that had a auto trans. The AX-15 is from a 95 cherokee and has the external slave.

Question 1: what flywheel? Am I correct in saying that i need the Ba 10 flywheel as it has the same pickup as the (ring gear?) that came off the engine I am using?

Question 2: slave cylender. Do I need to find a clutch master from a jeep with an external ax 15 trans? And what do I use for the line. I do not have a line from either the BA 10 or the AX 15.

Question 3: Pilot bearing/bushing. I have ordered a clutch kit for a 95 cherokee already. The clutch fits onto the input shaft of the tranny and matches the old BA 10 clutch perfectly, as does the pressure plate. I have not tried to fit either the pilot bearing or bushing onto the engine crank yet. I am uncertain what do to as the engine was originaly mated to an auto trans and currently has neither.

If someone could help it would be appreciated, Ive browsed many AX-15 threads but have not been able to find my answers. I just want to make sure before I go on and run into more problems. TIA

JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

If the flywheel you have is the one that ran with the original electronics it should be the one used. The clutch is something in not sure of.
Unread 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Ok meaning the electronics in the truck correct? Not on the engine
Unread 08-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Ok im totally confused now.

I just found out about the 21 and 23 spline input x case shafts. I have a np 231 that was originally mated to the ax 15. That has a 23 spline input shaft. I also have what I think is a np 231 which was off of my auto trans and has 21 splines. I wanted to use the x case from the auto trans because that is the one that matches my axles and has the vacuum disconnect. Is their another option besides swapping the input shafts?

Also the pilot bearing. Why wont a New pilot/ bearing from a clutch kit for the trans donor vehicle work?
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
Jkanly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepComanche89
Ok im totally confused now.

I just found out about the 21 and 23 spline input x case shafts. I have a np 231 that was originally mated to the ax 15. That has a 23 spline input shaft. I also have what I think is a np 231 which was off of my auto trans and has 21 splines. I wanted to use the x case from the auto trans because that is the one that matches my axles and has the vacuum disconnect. Is their another option besides swapping the input shafts?

Also the pilot bearing. Why wont a New pilot/ bearing from a clutch kit for the trans donor vehicle work?
The Renix 4.0l has an electronic crankshaft position sensor located on the left side of the transmission by the flywheel. This needs to read the marks on the original flywheel that came with that engine in order for the timing to be correct.

There is no other option than to swap the input shafts unless you want to run without the vacuum disconnect and run the manual 4wd disconnect (push pull cable).

The pilot bearing changes size many times from early years to later years. If I remember correctly the Renix 4.0 input is smaller than the H.O. 4.0 input. It may have an spacer/adapter in the driveshaft that comes out, but you'll have to research both individually to get correct information and order the correct pilot bearing.
l---L –0lllllll0-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkanly

The Renix 4.0l has an electronic crankshaft position sensor located on the left side of the transmission by the flywheel. This needs to read the marks on the original flywheel that came with that engine in order for the timing to be correct.

There is no other option than to swap the input shafts unless you want to run without the vacuum disconnect and run the manual 4wd disconnect (push pull cable)

The pilot bearing changes size many times from early years to later years. If I remember correctly the Renix 4.0 input is smaller than the H.O. 4.0 input. It may have an spacer/adapter in the driveshaft that comes out, but you'll have to research both individually to get correct information and order the correct pilot bearing.

Ok so im swapping the input shafts now and using the fly for the BA-10. I understand about the pilot bearing is the rumor a CJ (7 i think) will work
Unread 09-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Clutch Master

If I buy this setup will it just bolt right up? Its for a 95 cherokee with a 5 speed. The line schould fit considering its from a cherokee going into a comanche, right?

Unread 10-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Ok, its been a while but ive made progress...some. Well i got the pilot bearing in, the one from the 95 cherokee worked. The clutch and everything fit and the trans is up. Now the mount i bought from rockauto is wrong. I tried to buy one locally, finally found a different one but totally wrong again. Tried the old BA-10 mount, no go. Did some research, from what i understand a 97 plus TJ mount will work?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.