Can I lower my Transmission crossmember? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Can I lower my Transmission crossmember?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Alotaglock
1998 ZJ 

Can I lower my Transmission crossmember?

Can I lower my transmission crossmember on my 1998 Grand Cherokee? I have a full custom 3 inch exhaust that is not clearing the crossmember and is making it rub and make noise. I have a 2 inch budget lift. I guess im just wondering if I was to lower it 1/4 inch with washers or a nut on the 4 frame bolts to give me the clearance? Will it hurt anything? Angle? New to jeeps. Thanks for answering my questions. Aaron

Alotaglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hi and welcome.
You should be able to drop it that much.
You will need linger bolts. I think there's 2 bolts and 2 studs right? If so use vice grips remove the studs and just use bolts. Use nuts for spacers not washers. Or nuts and large flat washers to help distribution of stress.
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This notion is commonly sold as a "transfer case drop" to help reduce vibes after lifting. It puts a little more stress on the engine and transmission mounts since the whole thing gets tipped but I wouldn't worry about it if you're only going down 1/4". I say go for it! Beware rusted rivnuts
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Alotaglock
1998 ZJ 

Thank you both, I will try to find the kit that already has the bolts and spacers. I can't find hardened metric bolts here at the local hardware stores.
Alotaglock is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.