Cam Position Sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Cam Position Sensor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
AZG23

Cam Position Sensor

Hey all...

Ive got a strange one....Ive been searching on here and a few other Jeep boards...and the FSM...but cannot locate anything specific...

My 02 Sport 4.0 5 spd (52 k) has a clicking coming from the CAM POSITION SENSOR....you can actually feel it clicking under your finger as well as hear it. It clicks faster with the rpm's...

I have identified the clicking as stated above...and per the FSM you can replace just the top portion sensor...a couple questions on it...

1. Its running perfectly....but the click is annoying as it sounds like a lifter knocking...and I know that this has a gear drive into the oil pump...should I replace before anything goes wrong...?? (Im thinking yes)

2. Does anyone know if you can get just the sensor and not have to replace the entire assembly...(as it may require TDC and timing adjustments, etc if gotten out of sync)

3. Has anyone had this happen...?? I couldnt find anything relating to clicking vs. failure to start, etc...and more issues with the CRANK postion sensor...not my part of the problem.

Anything anyone can add...I would appreciate it...Im pretty mechanicaly inclined and have done all the work on my Jeep...(lift, lockers, etc) and have been been modding vehicles for wuite a few years...Im jsut new to Jeeps...and looking for some guidance since I cant find anything pertaining to this particular problem.

TIA

AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.