but mines an 8 pulley configuration???? and broke!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > but mines an 8 pulley configuration???? and broke!!!!!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
jeepish59
1996 ZJ 

but mines an 8 pulley configuration???? and broke!!!!!

Need help. everywhere you check for info on how to replace serp belts they say draw a diagram on how to wind it. Well, Drawing a diagram of how the belt winds on the pulleys when you are replacing a belt is fine....... but when it breaks? Sorry, I sound frustrated even mad, but it is like nobody seems to consider belts break and on top of that, it is like nobody in the world but me and some mail man have larados with 8 pulleys.

anyway, I broke a belt today and cannot find a diagram on how to wind a belt on a 96 4.0 gr cher larado with 8 pulleys. Can somebody have mercy on me, a medium talent shade tree mechanic, and help me find a diagram of an 8 pulley wind for a 4.0?

Thanks
ish

jeepish59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepish59 View Post
Need help. everywhere you check for info on how to replace serp belts they say draw a diagram on how to wind it. Well, Drawing a diagram of how the belt winds on the pulleys when you are replacing a belt is fine....... but when it breaks? Sorry, I sound frustrated even mad, but it is like nobody seems to consider belts break and on top of that, it is like nobody in the world but me and some mail man have larados with 8 pulleys.

anyway, I broke a belt today and cannot find a diagram on how to wind a belt on a 96 4.0 gr cher larado with 8 pulleys. Can somebody have mercy on me, a medium talent shade tree mechanic, and help me find a diagram of an 8 pulley wind for a 4.0?

Thanks
ish
TADA!

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
jeepish59
1996 ZJ 

Pow, Ouch, Backmannn, Backmannn, Backmannn, na na na na na na na na na backman Pow

Thanks you. thank you. thank you.

Been working with it for over an hour and could not seem to figure out the code. found a way it fit the length of the belt but it kept throwing the belt. So now, I am going to go to the microwave, get my spaghetti O's and meatballs, put a little mozzarella cheese on them, eat'm then back to the jeep follow your much appreciated Page 7-43 and hit the road again.

What book is the diagram out of. It seems to be a bit more basic than Haynes, which is what I have. Looks like I need to add another book to my library.

Thanks again Backman

Mass. Where does one 4 wheel in Mass? Mudder? Woods? Or just have fun in the back yard of some big estate making the jeepers version of crop circles?

Love you comments at the bottom.
Only politicians can make what's logical illegal.
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
ajmorell

I think that diagram is from the FSM (Factory Service Manual)
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
jeepish59
1996 ZJ 

opps

made a mistake laybackman. i only took a quick look at your diagram. I have an 8 pulley configuration.

Do you have a diagram for an 8 pulley configuration on an 4.0?
Unread 05-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
I think that diagram is from the FSM (Factory Service Manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepish59 View Post
made a mistake laybackman. i only took a quick look at your diagram. I have an 8 pulley configuration.

Do you have a diagram for an 8 pulley configuration on an 4.0?
ajmorell you are right that is an image from a FSM.

If you have 8 turning points on your serpentine belt you may be 'unique'.
Either you have 7 as shown. If you do not have AC then you have 6 turning points. If you have no PS then the PS pump gets replaced by a pulley.

You have to tell us what is under your hood that gets turned by your single serpentine belt

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.