Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

built dana 35

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  BlueRubiconrich 
#1 ·
can a dana 35 handle 35" tires?
the plan is to use 30 spline axles, eaton e locker, 4.56 gears, trusses, and welded axle tubes. i know a 44 is way better but they are very hard to find where I'm at. it mostly dd with some mudding, mountain roads, and rock crawling a bit one day.

#2 ·
Yes, as long as you do what's on the list you posted and don't treat it like its a bigger axle then yes I'm sure it will work.

Jason.

#4 ·
Thanks those look like nice axles. Think ill order a pair for the front as well. On 33" tires will a 4.56 gear be to low?

#6 ·
how would the 4.88 act with the 33" tires? i won't be going to 35" for awhile but i want to do the axles soon.

#8 ·
The problem with building a Dana 35 is its still a Dana 35, you would be better off with a 8.25 from a Cherokee or an 8.8 from a ford. A stock 8.8 regeared would be stronger then any 35 you could put together

#10 ·
I was looking for a 44 out of a TJ. Very hard to come by where im from, but i could go with a normal dana 44 but i was looking for something that just bolted in. if im going to mod the rear axle i will probably go with a 8.75 Chrysler, dana 60, or ford 9".

#18 ·
I have seen 4 Dana 35's blow up in front of me. The axle shafts are so small.
break the shaft and then the axle walks out with the c clip design. But a Ford 8.8 is C clip but much bigger axles. Get a Dana 44 and no c clip your choice.
A Dana 44a is junk as well might as well be a Dana 35.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.