Buick 225ci 90' V6-Power Potential???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Buick 225ci 90' V6-Power Potential????

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
DRJeep

Buick 225ci 90' V6-Power Potential????

I have a 1967 Jeepster Commando with a Buick 225 V6 Odd Fire. She appears to be a good runner, so far. A dose of liquid mechanic in the tank and oil helped her fire up. After 10 minutes of sputtering and smoking she smoothed out and ran easy.

What I want to know is this, what power upgrades are available for the 225? What is the potential output of this little engine and what are its limits? From what I am able to gather it is Buicks answer to the Dodge slant 6. It seems to be the indestructo motor. I love the sound of the loping engine but I'd love to pump some juice into her. Ideas?

DRJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
starheimberger

that used to be the hot jeep engine swap 20 years ago. i seem to remember a lot of hop up parts were available intakes,cams,headers,etc. call sumitt racing tech line and see if they have some old stock.
Unread 07-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

There are quite a few upgrades still out there. The thing to remember is the 225 oddfire is an inherently unbalanced motor. In order to smooth it out, Buick used a much heavier flywheel. This gives it an incredable amount of torque, but limits acceleration. The engine can be built to compensate(Smokey Unick and Ken Bell were building race versions of this engine in the late 60's and early 70's). Places to look for performance parts...Ken bell,Offenhouser, Also do a serch under Buick V6. HP books printed a "how to build your Buick V6" book that was VERY informative. A good place to take your questions is to "early Cj5.com". They specialize in the Buick oddfire.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
DRJeep

Thank you both for your input. I'll check out those sites and let you know what I find.
DRJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.