Brown-Out..?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Brown-Out..??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Brown-Out..??

My onboard options are inoperative. Power windows and rear defrost quit at the same time. Now my over head console(mpg, hwy gm display, trip odometer, etc)seems to work when I run through my options. However, my thermometer option quit reading the correct temp outside, in fact its way off. The other day I unhooked my neg terminal from battery to work on my heater core, ever since these options do not work anymore. I checked all my fuses in the passenger kick panel, they are all fine. Is there a relay somewhere or something that I need to check or what? Is it possible that I accidently fried these options?? How? Thanks in advance, Forum!

2tall2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall2slow View Post
My onboard options are inoperative. Power windows and rear defrost quit at the same time. Now my over head console(mpg, hwy gm display, trip odometer, etc)seems to work when I run through my options. However, my thermometer option quit reading the correct temp outside, in fact its way off. The other day I unhooked my neg terminal from battery to work on my heater core, ever since these options do not work anymore. I checked all my fuses in the passenger kick panel, they are all fine. Is there a relay somewhere or something that I need to check or what? Is it possible that I accidently fried these options?? How? Thanks in advance, Forum!
There are three circuit breakers in the PDC under the hood IF my mind serves me right. They feed voltage to some if not all of those devices, IIRC you can test them by pulling them and by pulling them out adding 12 volts to one side and see if the other tab has 12 volts, which proves continuity. Next look for power to one of the sockets for the CB. One side should have power IIRC.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

good deal. gonna check tomm am. will be sure to let you know, thanks!
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

After identifying which breakers control which option, Tested each one. All turned out to be working. This diagram helped. Turned out that my 'rear wash motor' fuse controlled not only my rear defrost, but also somehow my power windows. I believe it was a red 10amp. Replaced this fuse, now windows and rear defrost work again.
zj806986.gif  
Unread 01-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall2slow View Post
After identifying which breakers control which option, Tested each one. All turned out to be working. This diagram helped. Turned out that my 'rear wash motor' fuse controlled not only my rear defrost, but also somehow my power windows. I believe it was a red 10amp. Replaced this fuse, now windows and rear defrost work again.
Check fuse #16 in that junction block also. 10AMP fuse

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

#16 works my overhead lights. funny, I don't have a fuse for that spot. took it out long ago because the family couldn't seem to close my doors all the way, kept running my battery down.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.