broken np241 selector shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > broken np241 selector shaft

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
BretB
1989 YJ Wrangler 

broken np241 selector shaft

First off in all honesty, this is for my K1500 but I wanted to post up here as I see a lot of people have 241's and this forum is so full of knowledgeable people i hope to get an answer.
Pulled the 241 in anticipation of changing out my transmission. Tried soaking the horizontal bolt/nut that comes out on the left side, is keyed, and holds the shift rod to the case. I sheared the bolt off.
I know the 100% correct way of doing it would be to order the part (which numerous drive train shops don't seem to have), but I don't want to get in over my head with reassembly and I'm on a very tight budget.
I've considered JB welding or really welding a new stud on, apply washers as/if necessary, since it's only a retainer to hold the shift rod on the key.
Has anybody ever sheared this off, and what would be a recommended fix?
Thanks.

2000 TJ (wife's)
BretB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
BretB
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Had lost my camera but finally found it and wanted to follow up with what I did on this. Simply tack welded the shifter to it.
2000 TJ (wife's)
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
mmerlinn

Recommended fix would be to replace the shaft. Biggest problem with that is finding the CORRECT shaft as there are dozens of different NON-interchangeable shafts in NP transfer cases. The second biggest problem is finding anyone that knows that there are dozens of different shafts and that would be able to tell you how to identify what you need.

If you did a good weld job, that should last you. But the next owner will cuss you out if he ever needs to rebuild the TC.

As far as shearing it off, the fact that you did amazes me. I have removed hundreds, maybe thousands, of those nuts, never soaked them, and never had one shear off.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
BretB
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting you never sheared one off. I just cranked too hard and (pop!). There will be no next owner so I'm not worried. I thought if I need to do anything to the case in the future, it will be a complete new one.. Thanks for the tip on the numerous shafts.
I was careful on the welding too because it looks like a plastic composition on the seal.
2000 TJ (wife's)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.