Brand new remanned engine... doesn't sound right? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Brand new remanned engine... doesn't sound right?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
DoubleBET
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Brand new remanned engine... doesn't sound right?

The mechanic who installed it said it sounds "perfect" to him but it just doesn't sound quite right to me. I hear a bit of a knocking/rattling... can anybody make it out from these videos?

**Edit: Removed these links; see post #4 instead... much better audio that time around**

It's louder in person (mic's had trouble picking up the sound). loudest when you're lying underneath the engine. Does not appear to be coming from manifold or transmission (I used a mechanic's stethoscope to determine this). No obvious change when the engine's been running for a while.

Note that this engine is currently 50 miles old. I had a local mechanic listen to it real quick and he said that engines often take 100 miles or so to "settle in". Has anybody had this experience?

Unread 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Settle in?never heard that one before
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
DoubleBET
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Up to 80 miles on the engine... frustratingly it's pretty much the same. Engine company wants me to do all sorts of tests on parts that weren't replaced during installation like the fuel injectors etc--stuff that they of course aren't gonna pay for b/c it's not related to the engine :-/

The sound wouldn't bother me except that I don't want anything to happen once it's no longer under warranty...
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
DoubleBET
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Muuuch better audio this time with different angles/help of a friend driving. Taken around 80 miles. One thing I forgot to mention was the engine performs fine; good power/acceleration. It just sounds like an old engine... and I'd like it to last longer than the 3-year warranty the company provided

http://youtu.be/QPg5a_s7VgM
Knocking/rattling noise clearly heard from this angle with engine idling. Again, heard best when standing on either side of the jeep. Loudest lying right under lower engine cover.

http://youtu.be/CgV5EONh45Y
Camera being held out the passenger side window. There are 2 distinct abnormal sounds. The louder is a "hissing" noise heard only when accelerating. It sounds like a cicada insect when driving with the windows opened. The second is the baseline rattling/knocking heard when the engine is not accelerating (see other video to hear this better).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.