brake problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > brake problem

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 03-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
JOKER4INK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

brake problem

I needed brakes on a XJ, so I replaced the front calipers & rotors, pads, a new master cylinder and new power brake booster. Since then, I have a ton of air the front brakes. I get decent brake pressure when the motor is off, but as soon as I start it the pedal goes to the floor. I used a one-man bleeder and then tried it the old fashioned way when someone pumps the pedal while I do the bleeder screws. Either way I have no brake pressure. I am at a loss right now. There is a ton of tiny air bubbles coming out of the lines and there is a ton coming out of the reservoir too. There is no brake fluid leaks. What do I do? Does the system need to be pressure bled?

Unread 03-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
WVBLACKJEEP

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you installed it?
WVBLACKJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
JOKER4INK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I never bled one before, so this is what I did: I filled the reservoirs, put the fittings and hoses on the ports, ran the lines back into the reservoir. Pumped the acuator a few times til no air bubbles were present. took the hoses and fittings off, hooked up the brake lines and attempted bleeding the brakes at the calipers. Is that right? Do I need to hold the plunger for the master cylinder in while I hook up the lines or something? what did I do wrong?
Unread 03-27-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
WVBLACKJEEP

If you had no air bubbles in the master cylinder during your bench bleed your master cylinder should be primed and ready to go. Now move down to the ft. calipers and try a rebleed on those again.

Just a question did you attempt to bleed the rear cylinders?
They may have gotten air in them also.
WVBLACKJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
JOKER4INK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did bleed one rear. The other had a broken bleeder. The one I bled had very very little air.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.