Brake Fade! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Brake Fade!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
KTM31

Brake Fade!

Hey Guys, just got my 08 4 door re geared 4:56s, cold air and chip. Run 35" grabbers with brand new brakes. ran up to big bear last weekend and experienced bad brake fade when we got up the hill. Pedal spongy . Ok we let it cool down and they seemed to get better. We're able to drive around town and get down the next day. This was not an off-road trip. Was cautious and used brakes seemed fine. Was told by local mechanic in Big Bear by phone that this is common with new brakes and the got hot and glazed!? My shop will make it right, just curious on any thoughts here.

Thanks, KTM a

KTM31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like pads were not broken in correctly
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
KTM31

Well seeing how I had 4 adults gear and was all jacked up with new power your probably right! What should I have done?
Thanks, KTM
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
0125JeepGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar
Sounds like pads were not broken in correctly
i just put new brake shoes on my truck front and rear. i didnt know there is even a brake in method, i havent done any driving with it yet so what is the brake in for new shoes that i should do?
0125JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Did you change the fluid and break in for brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0125JeepGuy View Post
i just put new brake shoes on my truck front and rear. i didnt know there is even a brake in method, i havent done any driving with it yet so what is the brake in for new shoes that i should do?

Did you flush out the old fluid and put in new brake fluid???

Breaking in Brakes

Find a large parking lot or somewhere where you can get to approx 60 to 70mph. Accelerate to approx 70mph and then hit the brakes hard. Do not lock them up or get into the ABS and then release when you get to about 10mph.
Do not come to a complete stop repeat until you can smell the brakes. Then take a nice drive to allow brakes to cool and then return and repeat stops. When you can smell the brakes cool them off. Never, ever, ever come to a complete stop. Repeat until you no longer smell the brakes. You may also get a few hard pedal as the brake pads off gas. Pick a road or parking lot with lots of room and nothing to hit. You have now bedded in your pads and shoes.

Now some pads say they are broken in by the manufacturer. Dont believe them.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
KTM31

Good stuff. I never knew you had to break in brakes! My shop is taking it back today to check and make right. But thanks for the info.

Fight On! KTM
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
0125JeepGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti
Did you flush out the old fluid and put in new brake fluid??? Breaking in Brakes Find a large parking lot or somewhere where you can get to approx 60 to 70mph. Accelerate to approx 70mph and then hit the brakes hard. Do not lock them up or get into the ABS and then release when you get to about 10mph. Do not come to a complete stop repeat until you can smell the brakes. Then take a nice drive to allow brakes to cool and then return and repeat stops. When you can smell the brakes cool them off. Never, ever, ever come to a complete stop. Repeat until you no longer smell the brakes. You may also get a few hard pedal as the brake pads off gas. Pick a road or parking lot with lots of room and nothing to hit. You have now bedded in your pads and shoes. Now some pads say they are broken in by the manufacturer. Dont believe them.
i didnt know i should do this!! i havent bled the brakes yet, i know i need to do that but i need a new master cylinder first. but thank you, i am glad to know this
0125JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
KTM31

FYI, Re: my question about brake fade. My shop told me my new shoes did not seat properly and he is replacing (at no charge) with heavier duty pads.
In hind site my first trip with new brakes was fully loaded hauling *** up mountain roads, so maybe prudent to do some around town driving for a few days before
Fist "date"!

Thanks again, KTM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.