Bought an XJ, catalytic converter missing! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Bought an XJ, catalytic converter missing!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 06-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
jeepnurs
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bought an XJ, catalytic converter missing!

I'm a *******.
I bought my third XJ Cherokee yesterday. '98 model. Fell in love with is shiny red beauty and trusted the young guy who sold it to me. Check engine light came on as I was driving it home. It's not registered yet because the inspection was expired. Had a friend run codes on it for me this morning to see what it needed to pass. Lo and behold, there is no catalytic converter on it. It's been cut out and pipe just welded in it's place.

Am I going to have to have the exhaust system replaced, and if so, how much is it going to cost me? Or is there a way to pass emissions inspection without it? I'm in NC. I'm clueless, never had a car without a catalytic converter before.

jeepnurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

cut out the pipe...clamp or weld a new cat back in. No big deal.

Biggest lesson - don't buy a car that doesn't have a current inspection sticker. If it was easy, then the previous owner probably would have gotten it done. If they didn't do it, then you can be sure that there's something wrong with it....
Unread 06-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Buying an un-inspected vehicle isn't always a bad idea... a lot of people are just stupid, cheap, or lazy so they just can't or won't go to the effort to fix it for inspection. This can mean a nice discount if in some cases if you do your own work. There's also the people that cobble it together and take it to "a guy they know" for his "inspection" and its worse since you have to fix their mess after they charge you extra for the benefit of it having a sticker.

Up here for an inspected yj that runs... 3-4k. Uninspected yj that runs can be had for half that.

Get under it with a screwdriver or hammer and see what else is rotted out, might not need much else. A catalytic converter can be found at auto zone for under $40, its not a complicated fix.
Unread 06-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
jeepnurs
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I had waited at the DMV for an hour to do the title transfer and didn't find out the inspection was expired until I was trying to register the Jeep. At that point, I was ready to just get it over with, it was 4:45 pm, I had driven for 2 hours to look at it, and money had already changed hands.

BTW, we found the cat, it has one. It was just not where it was supposed to be. The whole exhaust system looks to be homemade by some backyard mechanic (according to my own backyard mechanic/boyfriend) and the cat is back right in front of the muffler. We did a lot of work on it this morning, hoping it'll pass inspection on Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by jeepnurs; 07-03-2014 at 07:28 AM..
Unread 07-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
jeepnurs
1998 XJ Cherokee 

False alarm. My "mechanic" didn't know what he was talking about. The catalytic was there, just not in the original place, which is where he was looking. Passed NC inspection without a problem after replacing the O2 sensors.

Thanks for the input!
Unread 07-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
mjd4277
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Biggest lesson - don't buy a car that doesn't have a current inspection sticker. If it was easy, then the previous owner probably would have gotten it done. If they didn't do it, then you can be sure that there's something wrong with it....
Not all states have vehicle inspections for motor vehicles.

Ironically last week the check engine light popped on for me in my XJ. The catalytic converter had finally given up the ghost after 16 years. The mechanic said I could drive with it on since my XJ is so old(1998 model year and older vehicles are exempt from emissions testing here in Massachusetts) but I had it replaced on the grounds that the check engine light could "hide" other problems that could pop up somewhere down the line. $389 dollars later the XJ is running again on a new cat. Maybe this one will last 16 years.lol
mjd4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
everynametakin
1988 XJ Cherokee 

No cat on my 88 xj and no check engine light. I bought it this way by the way.
everynametakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
jeepnurs
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post

NC doesn't have inspection stickers. That's why I didn't know the inspection was expired until after I had waited for an hour in line at the DMV.
Unread 07-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
jeepnurs
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd4277 View Post
Not all states have vehicle inspections for motor vehicles.

Ironically last week the check engine light popped on for me in my XJ. The catalytic converter had finally given up the ghost after 16 years. The mechanic said I could drive with it on since my XJ is so old(1998 model year and older vehicles are exempt from emissions testing here in Massachusetts) but I had it replaced on the grounds that the check engine light could "hide" other problems that could pop up somewhere down the line. $389 dollars later the XJ is running again on a new cat. Maybe this one will last 16 years.lol
I believe a vehicle has to be 30 years old here in NC to be exempt from emissions inspection. Got a ways to go.

OK, I just checked. Over 35 years is exempt from safety AND emission. 1996 and later is exempt from emissions. Not too much longer.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.