Blue Smoke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Blue Smoke

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
0125JeepGuy

Blue Smoke

in my '69 buick 350 in my gladiator, i have true dual exuast and she doesnt get ran much at all (only went down the road a few miles once this year). when i went and started it up a few days ago, the drivers side began smoking blue smoke especially when i revved it alittle. what my dilemma is, is that the engine was completely rebuilt around 3,000 miles ago so it wouldnt make sense for the valve seals to be bad already or even for the piston rings to be worn out. i know blue means oil so im just not sure.

0125JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

How long sitting with that new motor? 3000 isn't broke in yet. If a new engine sits too long the seals will dry out fast. Doubt its the rings. Did you use zinc additive on first 1000?
True duals are nit that good for an engine especially fresh ones. Need an H pipe in it to equalize the engine.
Unread 10-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Go drive it and get it up to temp.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
0125JeepGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92
How long sitting with that new motor? 3000 isn't broke in yet. If a new engine sits too long the seals will dry out fast. Doubt its the rings. Did you use zinc additive on first 1000? True duals are nit that good for an engine especially fresh ones. Need an H pipe in it to equalize the engine.
i really dont know how long its been because when i bought it, thats how many miles it had and i dont know when he rebuilt the engine but i've only put about 50 miles on it since i bought it (july 2012). i dont know if he put zinc additive in it either. but thank you for the info i appreciate it
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Go drive it and get it up to temp.
Agreed! Get some miles on this engine.

One question. Have you changed the oil yet? It should have been started with break in oil and then it and the filter changed out after about 500 miles.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
0125JeepGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman
Agreed! Get some miles on this engine. One question. Have you changed the oil yet? It should have been started with break in oil and then it and the filter changed out after about 500 miles.
not since i bought it i havent changed it. and i bought it with 3000 miles on it so i dont know when the filter has been changed either
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0125JeepGuy View Post
not since i bought it i havent changed it. and i bought it with 3000 miles on it so i dont know when the filter has been changed either
I think it should get a new filter on it and some 10w-30 oil ASAP.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

No additives!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.